Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk up unlock/mirror un-fold - Only after button press possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is a weird one and I suspect maybe I’m in a minority that cares. When I have my phone key in my pocket and walk down the hallway of my house that parallels my garage it unlocks and unfolds the mirrors of my X every time. Moments later I get the “honk” as it re-locks when I walk away. Is there a way to tell it to use the phone as a key but not do a walk up unlock/unfold until I press the open door button? When I turned off walk up unlock I couldn’t open doors by pressing the buttons until I used the app to unlock them… Maybe the only solution is to not fold mirrors and turn off walk away horn? That’s annoying if so.

Last edited:
The advice to exclude home is good if you're in a garage. Otherwise, depending on your primary concern, you may have options. For instance, you mention not folding mirrors, but I think you can make the mirror folding manual if you want them folded, then you fold them yourself before getting out and unfold them yourself after getting in, but that might take several taps with Tesla's idea of convenience. As for the horn, quite frankly, why do you want it to honk when it locks, anyway? If you aren't concerned about the mirrors being in your way when unfolding and can get over the honking when locking, you could also do nothing other than disable the honking on locking. The mirrors would then be a visual cue that it is locked. Alternatively, if you want the mirrors manual, you could leave your door slightly ajar and listen for it to close as your audible cue that the car is locking itself. Personally, I don't like passive entry anyway, so I don't have these problems, but I would probably deal with it if I didn't have a fob to unlock with. I can definitely see where a phone key would be a challenge for this (vs leaving my fob far enough away instead of keeping it on my person) and for sleep (if the car is waking up every time you get close with your phone, that's not ideal whether it unlocks and honks or not). Not sure if the car would still wake up with passive entry disabled, but like you said, then you'd have to manually unlock with your phone every time.

Must be a legacy X? I wish mine worked like my Model 3 - where it doesn't do anything until I open the door.
Not sure who you're replying to, but legacy X didn't have phone key (unless they changed that at Raven, but I don't think they did). Also, there is a setting called "Automatic Doors" which would prevent the doors from opening when they unlock automatically, but that wouldn't prevent the mirrors from folding and unfolding or the horn from honking. Model 3 presumably doesn't have folding mirrors, but they can also be disabled, so AFAIK, an X (legacy or otherwise) can pretty much be configured to work like a Model 3.

So this is a weird one and I suspect maybe I’m in a minority that cares. When I have my phone key in my pocket and walk down the hallway of my house that parallels my garage it unlocks and unfolds the mirrors of my X every time. Moments later I get the “honk” as it re-locks when I walk away. Is there a way to tell it to use the phone as a key but not do a walk up unlock/unfold until I press the open door button? When I turned off walk up unlock I couldn’t open doors by pressing the buttons until I used the app to unlock them… Maybe the only solution is to not fold mirrors and turn off walk away horn? That’s annoying if so.
All of those functions are optional and quite configurable. Plus you can disable Auto Unlock/open “at home,” or completely, only opening with a fob press or door handle press. In Denver, you are probably going to want to disable folding mirrors completely in the winter. Frozen mirrors are not a lot of fun.