Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unfold mirrors only when driving away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if it’s been answered elsewhere but I’m unsure where to find this feature if it exists.

I want the mirrors to keep folding when I walk away for the car but only unfold when I shift into drive or when I press the brake pedal and “start” the car.

Often times I only come to get something from the car and it keeps unfolding and folding the mirrors again.

Sorry if it’s been answered elsewhere but I’m unsure where to find this feature if it exists.

I want the mirrors to keep folding when I walk away for the car but only unfold when I shift into drive or when I press the brake pedal and “start” the car.

Often times I only come to get something from the car and it keeps unfolding and folding the mirrors again.
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but before I pull into my garage I press fold mirrors.
They do not unfold when I reenter the car in my garage.
They will unfold automatically when driving away at around 20 mph but I usually manually unfold them when backing out of my driveway.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but before I pull into my garage I press fold mirrors.
They do not unfold when I reenter the car in my garage.
They will unfold automatically when driving away at around 20 mph but I usually manually unfold them when backing out of my driveway.
Just curious, why don't you use the auto-fold at home feature?

Just curious, why don't you use the auto-fold at home feature?
You didn’t ask me, but here’s why I don’t use it: I don’t want the mirrors unfolding before I back out of my garage, because the opening is narrow. I have my mirrors set up to fold automatically when HomeLink auto opens my garage, and the mirrors unfold automatically when I leave my house (I don’t have HomeLink auto close my garage). Note that sometimes the mirrors don’t auto unfold until I’m quite a ways from the house, and occasionally not at all.

You didn’t ask me, but here’s why I don’t use it: I don’t want the mirrors unfolding before I back out of my garage, because the opening is narrow. I have my mirrors set up to fold automatically when HomeLink auto opens my garage, and the mirrors unfold automatically when I leave my house (I don’t have HomeLink auto close my garage). Note that sometimes the mirrors don’t auto unfold until I’m quite a ways from the house, and occasionally not at all.
Oh yeah The software that controls the mirror auto-folding and location auto-folding is buggy, resultling in the erratic behavior you describe. I've been reporting this to Tesla to be repaired (under warranty!), but no dice. When it comes to broken software, they don't have time for that. They're too busy improving the light shows and fart noises.

Oh yeah The software that controls the mirror auto-folding and location auto-folding is buggy, resultling in the erratic behavior you describe. I've been reporting this to Tesla to be repaired (under warranty!), but no dice. When it comes to broken software, they don't have time for that. They're too busy improving the light shows and fart noises.
FWIW, the mirrors auto fold 100% of the time and auto unfold at least 95% of the time (though not always right away). When they don’t unfold, I use use the “unfold mirrors” voice command.

My car does not lock in my garage, but the mirrors auto fold when I pull into the driveway. On departure they unfold about 75' from my house. That feature has NEVER failed to work.

Backing out of the garage is not an issue. The rear and both fender cameras show on the screen. If you only see one camera when backing, swipe up on the display and you'll see all three cameras.

I have location based auto fold and it never fails. Folds as i pull up to the driveway and auto opens the garage door. Unfolds as i drive maybe 30 feet away and auto closes garage door. Very consistent especially with the new update with continuous connectivity.

I have location based auto fold and it never fails. Folds as i pull up to the driveway and auto opens the garage door. Unfolds as i drive maybe 30 feet away and auto closes garage door. Very consistent especially with the new update with continuous connectivity.
That's good. My car is able to exhibit that behavior, too. However, on my 2020 MS LR, there are two settings that control the mirrors: auto-fold and fold-at-this-location. When I turn on only fold-at-this-location, it works as you describe (good). If I add the auto-fold setting, which folds the mirrors when you lock the car, then the fold-at-this-location feature acts randomly. Sometimes the mirrors unfold in the garage (bad), on rare ocassions they don't unfold (good), but mostly the right mirror unfolds and the left one remains folded (crazy).