Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger off Ebay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill
Thinking of trying to get a good deal on a wall charger off Ebay while I wait for the Model 3 to arrive. My 2 concerns are:

1. Would Tesla honor a warranty claim if its faulty?
2. Any recent developments that makes new chargers better?

Can the seller provide proof of purchase? If so, I see no problem. There is no OLEV grant for Tesla wall boxes.

Most of them are probably from the referral program so weren't paid for in the first place.

@Yev000 I don't think you'd need proof, other than to be able to establish how old it is. The referral program stopped recently and Tesla have been catching up with the outstanding rewards. I received mine a couple of weeks ago, sold it in 5 seconds via the FB Group.

Note that to be installed under current regulations, the Tesla WC requires an expensive Type-EV or Type-B RCD. This can retail for almost the price of a chargepoint that doesn't need one.

At least there's only one version of Tesla WC so you need this regardless. Beware of old-stock (eg.) Rolec chargepoints which do not have the same specification as a modern one and so are a particularly bad eBay purchase unless very cheap.

Got a quote of 541.60 ex vat inc the RCD.

Electrical Vehicle charging point installation, including AC rated RCD unit, Armoured cable 4mm up to 15mm long, Henley block and split from main supply to maintain full independence of existing house electrics Single phase 32A charging option.

He will have to drill holes and go under the floor so there is a bit of work in my house. Not sure if having the RCD in the charger is a great idea as it will be sitting outside in the rain.

He said that you can basically put a commando socket at the end of that and you are good to go. However, if the contacts are a bit damp it can trip the RCD and you wouldn't be able to charge until they are dry (which can take a while). Plus the hassle of taking a cable out each day etc.

With the wall charger its a bit more user friendly and less likely to cut out due to rain. Has a nice holder to hold the cable and the cable is in the charger.

The Tesla charger would be £460 new on top of that, probably a bit more if you want the 7m cable (which I do).

Rolec or equivalent would for sure be cheaper by about £200 due to RCD being included, but with Tesla you have the added bonus of only dealing with Tesla if there is a fault. The OLEV grant is mostly pocketed by the electricians installing.

Not 100% sure if I'm doing the best thing here, but there you are...

Hopefully "AC rated RCD" is a typo for "DC sensitive". Type AC is completely the wrong thing and wasn't allowed under regulations ever since they recognized the existence of EV charging.

4mm armoured cable is IMO penny-pinching, but it is within regulations for a short length.

Advantage of RCD near the chargepoint is you might actually press the test button once in a while, compared to locked away in a cupboard where it will never get pressed.

Could wait and get it on olev i suppose. Just looked at pod point website and the price inc install is 859 without olev. which is cheaper than the tesla quote of 541.6 + 108.32 VAT + 460 charger = 1109.92.

If I wait for OLEV then itll be 359 from pod point for a tethered unit? Seems to be a no brainer.