Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger or 220V?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a gen 1 wall charger and will be receiving MYP in the next few weeks. The cable seems very stiff to me however it is -20c outside. Is it worth upgrading to gen 3 for wifi? Does it have a lighter more flexible cable?
The Gen3 Wall Connector Wi-Fi capability is currently only used for firmware updates and load balancing when there are multiple Gen3 Wall Connector units sharing a charging circuit. In the future the Gen3 Wall Connector will support direct billing using Wi-Fi.

As far as the charging cable sheathing becoming very stiff in cold weather I do not know if the Gen3 Wall Connector charging cable remains flexible at -20C. Grizzl-E is the only manufacturer of electric vehicle service equipment AFAIK that offers the option of a premium charging cable that remains flexible at low temperatures.

Reactions: Dimundz
We have a gen 1 wall charger and will be receiving MYP in the next few weeks. The cable seems very stiff to me however it is -20c outside. Is it worth upgrading to gen 3 for wifi? Does it have a lighter more flexible cable?
Wifi gets you almost nothing unless you plan to do power sharing between two HPWCs.

The cable of a gen3 will definitely be lighter and probably more flexible, since its limited to 48 amps continuous. I know its like 70% of the diameter of the HPWC Gen2 cable (which would be similar to Gen1 since they are both 80A rated). I happen to have both in stock and can do a side-by-side test in a few days.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and Dimundz
Is it worth upgrading to gen 3 for wifi? Does it have a lighter more flexible cable?
Downgrading, I would say. The Gen2 is a much better product. Sure, the cable for the Gen3 is thinner and lighter and more flexible, but that is precisely because it is less capable and lower power and can't deliver more amps. Plus, it has been less reliable and had far more problems than the Gen2 units, which were rock solid.

Reactions: SilverString
However, was looking for advice on continuing with that approach vs buying a wall charger.

What do you want from the wall connector that the mobile is not providing ?

Here is a summary of the advantages/disadvantages a wall connector would give you on a 50 Amp breaker/circuit:
  • Cost: About $500 + installation
  • 8 Amps faster charging (about 7.5 miles range per hour)
  • The mobile EVSE can be left in the car
  • The wall connector is a bigger box with better heat dissipation. It will last longer in a frequent use case
  • The wall connector has wi-fi that may be integrated into the Tesla app in the future. This is not much of an advantage given the excellent comm between the car and Tesla App already

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H