Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger query

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
My first post to this forum so hello everybody

Mods sorry if I've posted in wrong place. I'm sure you'll move it if needed.

Looking for advice on following issue:
My employer has provided me with M3LR and also paid for installation of Podpoint charger at my house using the OLEV - happy days. All working fine.

Unfortunately I have got to move house in the next couple of months (maybe sooner if legals are completed).
Obviously I cannot expect my employer to pay again for home charger so have been looking at various options but also keeping it cost effective.

1. I could take the podpoint with me but it looks like I need to upgrade the electrics at the new house anyway. Might need a separate consumer unit to supply a feed to charger. The cost of paying Podpoint to move it is uneconomic - this is the official way to keep warranty.
I could just use an electrician to do the move unofficially but then its out of warranty anyway.

2. I've seen a lot of Gen 2 Tesla wall chargers on ebay for sale. Some are new and boxed for around £250. Notwithstanding the warranty issue because I'd be in the same position (see above). What's the view on buying a new Gen 2 and then having it installed by a qualified electrician? What's the difference between gen 2 and 3? Why are there so many on ebay in boxes unused?
I don't have 3 phase just domestic 240v single phase.

Any other ideas for the most cost effective solution given the OLEV grant has been used now please?

Thanks for any help or advice

The Tesla wall charger Gen 2 is an entirely simple charger, it's perfectly good but is really just a socket. Most other chargers have an app that allows you to do scheduling of the charge, some reporting, sometime can balance solar generation. Tesla can't do all that, but you could question whether you need it.

I would add as well that the install will need to include various safety devices that aren't built in to the Tesla wall connector, which were built in the Pod Point, probably £200-£300 for the appropriate Type A RCD and Pen Fault detection. Other brands of chargers may cost more but come with this included.

I don't really know why there are many Gen 2's around, in the past some people got them as referral bonuses but that was a long way back.

There's a pinned thread in this forum about installers and people's opinions on different chargers.

There isn't really a cost effective solution, as the OLEV grant ends in March anyway.
As GRiLLA said, the additional costs for installing a Tesla Gen2 may take it well into the territory of a new "smart" unit, which in any case would have far better support and a warranty in case of issues.
The installation of the PodPoint at your current property should have been accounted for in your sale valuation - if not, then it would come under additional fixtures & fittings which you can add an appropriate fee for. This could be enough to offset at least the loss of the OLEV grant at the new place.

Hi
My first post to this forum so hello everybody

Mods sorry if I've posted in wrong place. I'm sure you'll move it if needed.

Looking for advice on following issue:
My employer has provided me with M3LR and also paid for installation of Podpoint charger at my house using the OLEV - happy days. All working fine.

Unfortunately I have got to move house in the next couple of months (maybe sooner if legals are completed).
Obviously I cannot expect my employer to pay again for home charger so have been looking at various options but also keeping it cost effective.

1. I could take the podpoint with me but it looks like I need to upgrade the electrics at the new house anyway. Might need a separate consumer unit to supply a feed to charger. The cost of paying Podpoint to move it is uneconomic - this is the official way to keep warranty.
I could just use an electrician to do the move unofficially but then its out of warranty anyway.

2. I've seen a lot of Gen 2 Tesla wall chargers on ebay for sale. Some are new and boxed for around £250. Notwithstanding the warranty issue because I'd be in the same position (see above). What's the view on buying a new Gen 2 and then having it installed by a qualified electrician? What's the difference between gen 2 and 3? Why are there so many on ebay in boxes unused?
I don't have 3 phase just domestic 240v single phase.

Any other ideas for the most cost effective solution given the OLEV grant has been used now please?

Thanks for any help or advice
I’m just in the process of selling my house with charger to be left. Not because the buyer is paying more for it but because it’s cheaper to just get a new charger installed than have this one moved with us.
If we move in time (big if) then we fortunately will be eligible for the grant but only because we used my wife’s EV for this install so can use the M3 for a future one (doubt we’ll be in time though). Even so it’s still slightly cheaper to do a new install (assuming no upgrades to existing electrics are needed). We went for an untethered charger from ChargedEV last time (newbie EV owner mistake on our part). We’re definitely getting tethered at the new house (still cheaper than moving this one). Plus get us away from ChargedEV’s horrendous app which has failed to give us scheduled charging at any time. So I’d advise against them at the very least.
A question for you in return though, does your employer contribute towards your electricity bill if you’re charging from your own private supply?

If we move in time (big if) then we fortunately will be eligible for the grant but only because we used my wife’s EV for this install so can use the M3 for a future one (doubt we’ll be in time though).

You maybe missed the point that the grant is being removed (for houses). For people who are in flats the grant continues (bizarre ... or a ploy, I don't know ... many/most people in flats won't have anywhere to get a charge point installed anyway!)

You maybe missed the point that the grant is being removed (for houses). For people who are in flats the grant continues (bizarre ... or a ploy, I don't know ... many/most people in flats won't have anywhere to get a charge point installed anyway!)
I didn’t know that tbh. However as I’m a house person it’s a bit of a moot point for me lol. I reckon its just the tip of the iceberg anyway. Another couple of years (max) & all house chargers will either be on a separate meter with “fuel” tax added to the tariff or we’ll all be paying per mile for road use. The government is losing too much in fuel duty already, it can’t keep losing those billions each year🤷🏼‍♂️.. Same as the EV car subsidy reduction, that’ll disappear completely soon too.

Hi and thanks for the advice
Grilla - Ok understood about gen 2 tech so thx. Yes Podpoint is decent in terms of software and logging of charging records so I need that as part of any charge system
Cilonen - yes I did offer the purchaser the option to buy the charger but they're not interested so I either leave it as a gesture or look at moving the unit. I didnt know the grant ends soon so thx. that makes me feel better ;)
Xdama - Yes I chargeback to my employer all business mileage (20k pa) at the current rate. Podpoint produces a very detailed report function that can exported to xls so I definitely need same function with whatever I have next.

I think I'll get some prices on moving the Podpoint unit first and compare with a brand new install of a podpoint without OLEV. Unless the market's changed Podpoint seemed to be the best VLM. I must add the installation service (I'm in the construction business) was very efficient. Their chosen sparks were top drawer and customer friendly.

Thanks again. I defo wont bother with the gen 2 unit.