Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger v2 for v3 exchange

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm one of the unlucky ones that ordered a v2 at home charger for my m3 a week before the v3 version was released. Does anyone have experience with a straight exchange through Tesla? Haven't been able to get anyone on the phone, and haven't received an emailed response as well.

You're not unlucky. In some ways the previous version is better than the new one. For example, the new Wall Connector (notice it no longer has "High Power" in the name) is limited to delivering 48 amps to the car. This isn't that big of a deal for the Model 3 since that's the maximum it can take anyway, but some S and X can accept charge above 48 amps. The previous version, the High Power Wall Connector, could go up to 80 amps when connected to a 100 amp circuit breaker. Also the new Wall Connector only has an 18 foot long cable whereas the HPWC has a 24 foot cable.

As for the WiFi connectivity on the new one, it's not really beneficial for most people. If you want to do power sharing between multiple Wall Connectors then it comes in handy but if you have a single Wall Connector in your house then there's really no need for the WiFi connectivity. There could be other future features that Tesla releases that will utilize the WiFi but most probably wouldn't be useful to the average Tesla owner.

As for the WiFi connectivity on the new one, it's not really beneficial for most people. If you want to do power sharing between multiple Wall Connectors then it comes in handy but if you have a single Wall Connector in your house then there's really no need for the WiFi connectivity. There could be other future features that Tesla releases that will utilize the WiFi but most probably wouldn't be useful to the average Tesla owner.

Maybe off topic, but what does the WiFi do for power sharing? The V2 version can still do power sharing. I thought WiFi was only for firmware updates and potentially remote servicing (which the older versions could still do firmware updates through the car).

Must use Wifi to communicate between WC's rather than the cable used by previous versions (so each can tell the other to apply/remove the charging throttle.

Maybe off topic, but what does the WiFi do for power sharing? The V2 version can still do power sharing. I thought WiFi was only for firmware updates and potentially remote servicing (which the older versions could still do firmware updates through the car).

Worst case scenario is sell it on eBay, you'll likely get more than $500.

Used to be you'd get more because they were hard to get at times, now I suspect there will be people that want a unit with higher AMP charging options (some X/S owners).

I'm one of the unlucky ones that ordered a v2 at home charger for my m3 a week before the v3 version was released. Does anyone have experience with a straight exchange through Tesla? Haven't been able to get anyone on the phone, and haven't received an emailed response as well.

I’ll reiterate what others have said here ... having a Gen 2 doesn’t make you unlucky. Personally, I would prefer a Gen 2 for its longer cable and lower profile to the wall (when using a low profile bracket.) I don’t consider the 80A output of a Gen 2 an advantage cause no car (S, X, or 3) can utilize the extra output.

IMO, the only advantage a Gen 3 has is the WiFi connectivity when running multiple Wall Connectors. That saves from having to hardwire the signal wires between Gen 2 Wall Connectors.

You're not unlucky. In some ways the previous version is better than the new one. For example, the new Wall Connector (notice it no longer has "High Power" in the name) is limited to delivering 48 amps to the car. This isn't that big of a deal for the Model 3 since that's the maximum it can take anyway, but some S and X can accept charge above 48 amps. The previous version, the High Power Wall Connector, could go up to 80 amps when connected to a 100 amp circuit breaker. Also the new Wall Connector only has an 18 foot long cable whereas the HPWC has a 24 foot cable.

I imagine there may be a V3 High Power Wall Connector with wifi sold at a higher price, say $700.

Based on my recent experience, they are probably not going to get to your email before they ship your v2.

Not from experience, but it's unlikely they would treat this as an exchange - you return the v2 (you pay shipping), and make a separate purchase of the v3. It would not surprise me at all if it took them weeks to process the return & return the funds to your CC.

Reactions: PoitNarf