Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Gen 3,

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want to charge at 48 amps, you need a 48/80%=60 amp circuit. Assuming you are using NM wire (not individual 90*C wires in a conduit), you'll need 4 gauge. 6 gauge NM is good for a 55 amp circuit, not 60.

BTW, I don't think I've ever seen 4/2, so you'll have to spend a little more for 4/3. At least you'll have the neutral if you ever decide to switch to a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

• Love
Reactions: WhiteWi
Thanks guys much appreciated.
I live in south Florida and have to run the Romex through the Attic about 90 feet from service panel outside to gen 3 wire connecter in garage .
Is there anything wrong with just installing 8/ 2 Romex with a 40 Amp 2 pole breaker?
I understand that I won't get full charging amps but I won't be using it for commuting and very little weekly driving. Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks guys much appreciated.
I live in south Florida and have to run the Romex through the Attic about 90 feet from service panel outside to gen 3 wire connecter in garage .
Is there anything wrong with just installing 8/ 2 Romex with a 40 Amp 2 pole breaker?
I understand that I won't get full charging amps but I won't be using it for commuting and very little weekly driving. Thanks for your thoughts.

Why run 8/2? At least use 6/2. The cost difference is small and could charge at 40 amps with a 50 amp breaker.

Hey everyone, last month I had an electrician install the Tesla wall connector (latest version). A few weeks ago I noticed in my wall panel that they appear to have used two 50 amp circuit breakers …. I’m presuming in parallel to the connector. See pic. I’ve called another electrical company to come out this week to downsize them to two 30 amps and check the wire gauge to make sure it’s to code. Just wanted to check to see if I’m missing something. Thanks!

Thinking about it more. They used a spot that was for an old water heater and probably just left the breakers that were already there. Still to me this looks like 100 amps of potential current going to the charger which makes me nervous unless I’m misunderstanding.
F8FBC598-FC66-4810-8690-2F9F531B3E3D.jpeg

Thinking about it more. They used a spot that was for an old water heater and probably just left the breakers that were already there.
What you have installed are several 120/240V double pole circuit breakers: 35A (AHV Main House), 50A (Tesla Charger), 30A (Dryer). The old water heater would have been 240V and 30A. As long as the electrician who installed the Tesla Wall Connector did a load calculation that showed sufficient capacity for a 50A versus the old water heater's 30A 240V circuit all is good. The assumed new wiring for the Wall Connector would have to be sufficient for 50A for an electrician to install a 50A breaker. (When wired for 240V/50A the double pole circuit breaker is connected to two separate 120V hot leads, one on each side of the circuit breaker panel. The two hot leads are 180 degrees out of phase, this is how you get 240V in a residential application. The circuit is rated for 50A.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BnGrm
What you have installed are several 120/240V double pole circuit breakers: 35A (AHV Main House), 50A (Tesla Charger), 30A (Dryer). The old water heater would have been 240V and 30A. As long as the electrician who installed the Tesla Wall Connector did a load calculation that showed sufficient capacity for a 50A versus the old water heater's 30A 240V circuit all is good. The assumed new wiring for the Wall Connector would have to be sufficient for 50A for an electrician to install a 50A breaker. (When wired for 240V/50A the double pole circuit breaker is connected to two separate 120V hot leads, one on each side of the circuit breaker panel. The two hot leads are 180 degrees out of phase, this is how you get 240V in a residential application. The circuit is rated for 50A.)
Awesome. Thanks. Very helpful. That makes me feel much better. I’ll still have the guy come out and check the wiring just because I have another job for him too. I’m just glad it’s not 100 amps.

That makes me think I’ve got my Tesla connector set wrong then. I have it set for 60 amps max. Will need to dial that back to 50 I guess.

When the electrician comes I’ll see if they can do 60 amps.

Last edited:
My electrician installed 60A breaker and ran 150ft of 6 AWG wires from my basement and outside the house and buried with conduits and come out to the detached garage.
My wall connector is pulling 48A without overheating or breaker tripping.

My electrician installed 60A breaker and ran 150ft of 6 AWG wires from my basement and outside the house and buried with conduits and come out to the detached garage.
My wall connector is pulling 48A without overheating or breaker tripping.
This is a different installation from your setup. The OP's electrician already installed a 50A circuit. Per the national electrical code the Wall Connector needs to be configured for the 50A circuit. (I.e. when charging on a 50A circuit the maximum charging amperage must be limited to 80% of 50A (40A.)) Charging at 48A requires a 60A circuit, that is not this setup.

Still to me this looks like 100 amps of potential current going to the charger which makes me nervous unless I’m misunderstanding.
I can see where someone might think that because they look like two 50 amp breakers in parallel, but in reality they are in series. All the current that flows through one also flows through the other. As mentioned above, it's a 50 amp circuit.

Reactions: BnGrm