Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Install - 50 v 40 amp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All good advice, I'd only ADD that if I had to do it over I would have asked our builder to run 4 awg wire from my panel to my garage location instead of saying I wanted a 50 amp outlet. I got 6/3 ROMEX on a 50 amp breaker powering a NEMA 14-50 outlet. So now even though I just bought a Gen 3 WC I can only charge at 40 amps. But to be honest, when I was charging with the UMC at 2 amps it was more than enough as we average no more than 30 miles a day.

So spend the few extra bucks and FUTURE PROOF, plus it's SAFER going BIGGER.

What kind of inspection is required if it’s required, I’m in central New Jersey as well and I’m planning to do installation myself.
You need a permit and electrical inspection; the last thing you want is the fire department marking you have non-permitted electrical work if something happens. Depending on your setup you may need both a rough and final inspection if you need to go behind drywall. We just needed a final because we used exterior conduit. What exactly you ask for will totally depend on your current setup and where you want the wall connector mounted. In most cases, you’ll just need an electrical permit. Our town counted it as adding an outlet because there isn’t a sub category on the common permit app for EV “Appliance” yet. Talk to your town’s building department and they’ll walk you through what they want from you. For us it was described on the permit as “Electrical alteration: installation of Tesla Wall Connector outlet and associated wiring.”

A ton of EVs are out on the road in CNJ. Pretty much every town from Clinton Township to Crawford has a lot of experience with these types of permits now. If you have an existing subpanel like we do, the inspector will primarily check you have the correct gauge wire (must be at least 6 awg because the WC is “capable” of drawing 60 amp), correct breaker for the commissioned setting on the wall connector (so 30 amp, 40 amp, etc), and it appears to turn on and function properly. You don’t actually need your EV yet. Inspection took 5 min for us.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
You need a permit and electrical inspection; the last thing you want is the fire department marking you have non-permitted electrical work if something happens. Depending on your setup you may need both a rough and final inspection if you need to go behind drywall. We just needed a final because we used exterior conduit. What exactly you ask for will totally depend on your current setup and where you want the wall connector mounted. In most cases, you’ll just need an electrical permit. Our town counted it as adding an outlet because there isn’t a sub category on the common permit app for EV “Appliance” yet. Talk to your town’s building department and they’ll walk you through what they want from you. For us it was described on the permit as “Electrical alteration: installation of Tesla Wall Connector outlet and associated wiring.”

A ton of EVs are out on the road in CNJ. Pretty much every town from Clinton Township to Crawford has a lot of experience with these types of permits now. If you have an existing subpanel like we do, the inspector will primarily check you have the correct gauge wire (must be at least 6 awg because the WC is “capable” of drawing 60 amp), correct breaker for the commissioned setting on the wall connector (so 30 amp, 40 amp, etc), and it appears to turn on and function properly. You don’t actually need your EV yet. Inspection took 5 min for us.
Thank you for the info.