Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Street Journal Model 3 AWD Performance Review-Buckle Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because of my journalism background, my eye twitches involuntarily a little bit when I see "Review" in the headline and then, sure enough, it just says "Test Drive" on the article itself. It's a shady SEO practice, and this piece is far, far from the only guilty example. So this isn't really a review -- it's more of a first impressions. But nevertheless, it was great to see Mr. Neil be so impressed. I would've loved to hear more about the actual Performance aspect of the Performance version, but when you think about who this piece will be seen by (the more general, mainstream WSJ audience), the piece does a really good job of elegantly stating how impressive he found the car to be.

The first ever review of a Tesla that I read was from Dan Neil in 2012. I was blown away.
Yeah, back when I subscribed to LATimes, Pulitzer Prize winning Dan Neil was always on my radar for a new review. He can write and knows cars.
Here's one that wasn't part of the Pulitzer package but the opening is my all-time fave (Porsche 911 GT2):

You may recall from your psychology classes the name Harry Harlow, a controversial researcher known for his wire monkey-surrogate mother experiments. One group of baby rhesus monkeys was taken away from its mothers and given a maternal figure made of terry cloth; another group was given a figure made of just bare wire. These experiments demonstrated the famous Harry-Harlow-was-a-toolbag principle.

In Porsche's laboratory, the relatively luxe 911 Turbo (what with its padded seats and all) is the terry-cloth monkey and the new GT2 -- stripped utterly to its essentials, inhospitable, a harsh mockery of the comforts of the automobile -- is the wire monkey. To love the GT2 is to embrace its malign indifference to your well-being. To cuddle one is to feel the cold bite of steel against your cheek. Mommy, why won't you hold me?

Last edited:
Can someone summarize this article in emojis for me? I can't comprehend all these words and stuff! :)

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 9.12.54 AM.png

Mod note: copyrighted material removed. Discussion about posting copyright material moved away to random chit-chat.

Please use the "Report" function on wholesale copy/pastes of others' material. It is against the Terms and Rules of TMC, and it is also illegal. When a moderator sees the report, we will remove it. Repeat offenders will be banned.

I suggest looking up Fair Use policies to understand what's OK and what's not. To be safest, include a small blurb or highlight (well under 25% of the article) and a link to the article.

• Helpful
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS and EinSV