Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want Chrome - - Undelete ! ?

Bring back the Chrome trim ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 and do prefer the chrome look. But I quite like the blacked out trim on the Model Y. Nice differentiator.

At the end of the day I wouldn't let either be a deal breaker for me. I doubt you'll see a chrome option anytime soon for the Y from the factory (if ever).

Reactions: Reborn
I think chromeless is going to look great on my solid black Y with those dark Induction wheels. :cool:
Screenshot_20200129-184333.png

Having spent 10+ years in the automotive finishing business, the black trim is likely a cost savings cop-out. The yields on back are much greater then chromed parts. Frequently rejected chrome (polished) parts are made black and used on lower trim levels. It's a lot easier to go from chrome to black (or painting to match) then painted to chrome.

Bottom line - black trim and painted parts are cheeper then chromed/polished.

• Informative
Reactions: Lobstahz
Having spent 10+ years in the automotive finishing business, the black trim is likely a cost savings cop-out. The yields on back are much greater then chromed parts. Frequently, rejected chrome (polished) parts are made black and used on lower trim levels. It's a lot easier to go from chrome to black (or painting to match) then painted too chrome.

Bottom line - black trim and painted parts are cheaper then chromed/polished.

It's funny how times have changed. Chrome accents used to be a sign of a higher spec model, sometimes people would pay extra for it. Now people wrap it to hide it.
And of course what Tesla does on the Model Y is not a "Chrome Delete" - it's a no chrome used cost saving (since many people don't want it anyway).

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD and Joey_82