Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to add separate DIY system to existing Tesla solar and Powerwalls. Where to connect?

Why would you use an additional Neurio when there are at least 3 empty CT channels in the Gateway 2 pictured in this thread? The only reason I can think of is that the distance exceeds normal CT wiring, which probably doesn't apply to this case. The reason the CTs are empty in this case is that the solar production is reported digitally by the Tesla inverter. Adding 3rd party solar would require CT metering to be logically added in the Gateway to the solar quantity reported by the Tesla inverter.
I had asked the same question but the tech said it was just easier. They were able to install the neurio on the main panel instead of having to run the wires through the conduit from the PW+.

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
If you had a backup switch instead of GW2.
Ok, I went back and re-read this thread and I see where I went off track.

@wwhitney was pondering how to properly do PV Production Metering with a utility provided meter and a Powerwall+ and you (@Vines) answered regarding Tesla CT metering. Then @dailo interjected with Backup Switch +Neurio for Tesla solar measurement.

In the big picture, getting the solar measurement into the Tesla system so Powerwalls behave as expected has a couple solutions and is relatively easy. How to add solar when your utility requires production metering raises the complexity a bit.

Thank you everyone for your help on this matter! I had a closer look at the inverter and have discovered there's a Neurio on the right hand side, with a single CT connected (1 of 4 ports). The Generac branded CT is hiding on the left hand side.

Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 1.52.00 PM.png

Here's the CT:

PXL_20220319_194605892.MP.jpg

My strings are connected in the top right pattern shown here "4 combined strings":

PXL_20220319_194851371_2.jpg

According to this sketch Tesla gave me this is how the strings are wired:
  • String 1 has 2 strings of 5 panels in parallel
  • String 2 has 2 strings of 7 panels in parallel
But that seems to contradict the label which says "Combined strings must have equal quantity of panels". Or am I misinterpreting this?

Panels are Q-Cell 340W (each have a max of 40V) - so the string of 7 has a voltage of 7 * 40V = 280V

IMG_20220127_114014 (1).jpg

Blue string faces south and the red string faces east. The West roof has pool solar on it, except the NW corner which Tesla were originally going to put 4 panels on but then changed their mind and moved them to the south roof on the day of install.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC