Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanted - Lease TakeOver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you may be a bit high with the original purchase price but it may depend on the C$ strength at the time. I ordered my P85D in Nov of 2014 and I paid $141k (before sales and other taxes and rebates). The car was delivered in early January of 2015. And I think I have every option except the rear facing child seats. And then I paid another $6000 to turn my P85D into a P85D.
if your P85D sold today, it would fetch a minimum of $85,000 if mileage is normal (teslas tend to be lower mileage, so I mean normal for Tesla which is about 10-15k year rather than the fossil normal 15-20k).

If your numbers are as you remember them, and $85,000 is accurate your car has likely depreciated about $56,000, which is about 40% in 3 years. The 85D close cousin of your car would be worth about $75,000 today...$10,000 less...but was about $35,000 less than your car when it was new. That's what I'm getting at. The PD cars depreciate at a higher rate than the normal cars. Even if your car sold for $95,000 today (despite CPO teslas selling for that or less) you'd still be looking at far greater depreciation than the regular cars.

The next 3 years will be the interesting ones to watch. I don't see these things depreciating anywhere near what fossil cars depreciate. Once that initial hit from the PD cars depreciation is gone, it should be a great financial option. I reckon it will cost us about $7,000/year to own these cars for the next 4 years. Compare that to what $7,000 gets you in the new market on a lease cost + gas or something and you're looking at something like a 4 cylinder Honda Accord.

Last edited:
That price is correct as you can see your invoice on the MyTesla site - I looked it up. I subtracted off two things - HPWC and winter tires. My mileage is very low at 37,790 - so only about 12,000km/year.

Why do you think that the P cars depreciate quicker? Or is it more of a case that the non-P cars depreciate slowly as they give folks an entry level price to a Tesla that many people can't afford for a new car - i.e. buying a Tesla for around $60k which will probably be around ASP for Model 3s in Canada - before rebates.

if your P85D sold today, it would fetch about $85,000 if mileage is normal (teslas tend to be lower mileage, so I mean normal for Tesla which is about 10-15k year rather than the fossil normal 15-20k).

If your numbers are as you remember them, your car has likely depreciated about $56,000, which is about 40% in 3 years. The 85D close cousin of your car would be worth about $75,000 today...$10,000 less...but was about $35,000 less than your car when it was new. that's what I'm getting at. The PD cars depreciate at a higher rate than the normal cars.
That price is correct as you can see your invoice on the MyTesla site - I looked it up. I subtracted off two things - HPWC and winter tires. My mileage is very low at 37,790 - so only about 12,000km/year.

Why do you think that the P cars depreciate quicker? Or is it more of a case that the non-P cars depreciate slowly as they give folks an entry level price to a Tesla that many people can't afford for a new car - i.e. buying a Tesla for around $60k which will probably be around ASP for Model 3s in Canada - before rebates.
I think that it's two things:

1. all you get is basically faster performance (than an already very fast car). Most people don't care about that. I love it thus I bought one. It's not like an RS4 that looks like an axe murderer compared to a plain A4...the tesla PD cars are almost the same as the regular cars to the uninitiated other than the badge, calipers and for some a spoiler (many opt for no spoiler). On top of this you give up range..so most people just stick with the regular car as range seems to be the biggest thing with these cars.

2. they're incredibly expensive...that's a tough market to play in, and it tends to depreciate rapidly as it is.

as you said its not that these depreciate quickly in the general context of cars....they depreciate quickly compared to the regular teslas which are comparitively miserly for depreciation. But the PD cars are still better than most fossilux cars. I think the stat I saw showed that in 5 years a tesla depreciates (or is on pace to depreciate) about 40% while a similar (luxury brand full sized) fossil car will depreciate more like 50%.

edit: Here's the chart. dug it up. This shows true cost of ownership. I actually used to argue that electric cars were too expensive but once I got my head around the fact that the stuff that usually depreciates the total value of your old car (engine/transmission) aren't as much of a concern here, I thought maybe these would hold value better. Sure your battery loses 5% range in a the first few years but really there's not a whole let else that's going to go wrong. Comparitively speaking.

Saving 12% depreciation...that's $15,000 on a $130,000 100D...and saving $14,000 from the grant...and saving about $2000-3000/year in gasoline for 4 years...the overpriced teslas are actually starting to make financial sense now. Over 4 years that's $39,000 which is more than the premium you pay for a 100D vs. say a loaded Audi S7 or CLS550. That's pretty cool. The math is even better on 75D vs. A7 3.0T (or CLS/7 series/E class etc)

tesla-depreciation.jpg

Last edited:
Alright.. RDX lease is coming to an end Early June.. let's try this again.

Prefer a short term lease takeover.
  • AWD a Must (still)
  • Must have warranty for remainder of lease (given I think)
  • Model S preferred
  • Looking for most economic takeover, so performance or higher battery not necessary.
  • Prefer Blue/Black
  • If purchasing, MUST have White Vegan Seats - after being in them - I can't not have this. (will also settle for black)
  • If short term lease Black would be fine.
  • Any other options are nice to have but not necessary.
  • I'm in Ontario, but willing to travel anywhere in Canada.
  • All service records, and service up to date
  • Transparency about why your getting rid of it (just don't want a lemon)

Thanks everyone.. looking to get into one ASAP. Returning the RDX soon, or we could swap? 2016 Acura RDX Tech Elite, White with 33,000km.