Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warming with defroster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No - it seems to know if it should turn on. In my case if it is a 'frosty' day it turns on. I have a small sample size, but I can say for sure it does not turn on with the last setting (rare if ever do I get home with defrost on)

Mine was going on automatically but not it’s not a this morning I have all frost on my windshield. The camera on the windshield has to see that. Don’t know what I did to disable it

Perhaps climate has to be left in "Auto" for the defroster to come on when needed?

GSP
I alswag keep it in auto, the only thing i can think of is when I was at the car wash yesterday I turned off my automatic windshield wipers maybe they’re also shut off the camera to view if there’s frost on the windshield... I don’t now

And today it did the same for us. 27 F outside, 47 in the car and it turned the defrosters on. So, yeah, car temp below 50 F may be the trigger?

IDK what’s up with the app.. The defroster worked the other night and this morning it was 20° and the defroster did not turn on. It’s like always when I really need the defroster it does not turn on... oh well

I also have issues with this. Today, it was about 18 F and my front and rear windows were frosted off. Despite my 15 minute pre-warm, the defrosters never turned on, when they should have due to either the temperature or obscured viewing by the front camera (if they are using that to detect whether defrosting is necessary). I am currently on 46.2 and they used to turn on.

Also, I identified another annoying issue with the defrost system. Also this morning, I would get into my car and enable both front and rear defrosters to start the process, but whenever I got out and closed the door, they would shut off. This would be very frustrating if we had lots of snow and I wanted the car to keep the defrosters on to warm things up from underneath while I dusted off the snow above. Any others experience this issue or have a solution, beyond keeping the door ajar?

D6FCE8D0-805E-4E4A-B830-67E4C079C36B.png
A8C2863C-2D45-46B8-9871-D6DD986C046C.jpeg