Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning: HPWC Gen3 - Possible Design Problem.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The charging shut down on my Tesla this AM (set at 48 amps). I noticed the cable from the HPWC to the car is "bubbled" in many places indicating excessive heat. The bubbling starts at about 10" from the handle end and extends about 6 feet. The handle was hotter than the cable to the touch.

This equipment has been used very little since I normally charge at work. When it was installed I did a temp check after 30 minutes of 11 kW charging and AOK. So whatever it is, it degrades fairly quickly.

Check your cable, if you see bubbling of the insulation take the appropriate action. If you want to play it safe, reduce your current to no higher than necessary.

I will be replacing this with Gen2 HPWC which is far more robust.

HPWC3-Cable-Fault.JPG

It's pretty clear that the Gen 3 HPWC was the first HPWC with cost & profit in mind during the design phase. They promise us all sorts of whiz-bang features "to come soon via software updates" to appease us but half of those new features the Gen 2 HPWC already has. Not to mention that there are lots of things that the Gen 2 HPWC is capable of simply due to hardware differences that no amount of "software updates" will bring to the HPWC Gen 3. Tesla takes an "L" on this one. It's hilarious to me that some are getting double MSRP for them on eBay and similar when they will be back in stock from Tesla directly. Clearly some are confusing the currently-being-produced Gen 3 with the out-of-production Gen 2.

Personally, I'll just sit on the sideline and wait for the Gen 4 that will learn from mistakes made & combine all of the best aspects from all previous versions. This Gen 3 is a real turd so far.