Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning on Firmware Update 2019.8.6 Fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 AP2 MX got the .6 update. I was on .5, which was working perfectly. The new .6 update failed, and now Autopilot, Cruise Control, and other advanced functions like collision warning and auto high beams are no longer working. A permanent pulsing message on the dash tells me to contact Tesla at once, which I did. They cannot revert to the previous firmware version, and it will be at least a week before they can push a fix. Meanwhile, I'm headed on a 1000 mile road trip tomorrow without even basic cruise control. I am really, really annoyed. This will make my trip a lot more tiring.

Anyhow, think twice before updating to .6 if you have a 2016 AP2 vehicle, or if you are planning a big road trip. You could find yourself driving a car without even a cruise control feature.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
My 2016 AP2 MX got the .6 update. I was on .5, which was working perfectly. The new .6 update failed, and now Autopilot, Cruise Control, and other advanced functions like collision warning and auto high beams are no longer working. A permanent pulsing message on the dash tells me to contact Tesla at once, which I did. They cannot revert to the previous firmware version, and it will be at least a week before they can push a fix. Meanwhile, I'm headed on a 1000 mile road trip tomorrow without even basic cruise control. I am really, really annoyed. This will make my trip a lot more tiring.

Anyhow, think twice before updating to .6 if you have a 2016 AP2 vehicle, or if you are planning a big road trip. You could find yourself driving a car without even a cruise control feature.
There are people in CA that can help you return back to 19.8.5 or retry 19.8.6. just saying.

Very sorry to hear that. I'm looking forward to some upcoming roadtrips and I'll heed your warning. I already had a mental rule to never do one while on a roadtrip but I need to avoid it if it is a week out. Best of luck.

Looks like .5 and .6 are ramping down and .12 is ramphing up.

WalMfGh.jpg

Same really applies for any update. I've got a HW2 Model S built shortly after that timeframe and updated from 8.5 to 8.6 successfully.

Sorry to hear. It's super cruel getting an update before a long trip. I really feel like I've got those two little voices on my shoulders debating whether I should hit install :D

Wow, that is a bummer and one of the reasons I haven't updated in months and I especially never update even close to when I have a long trip coming up.

Surprised it lost all those AP functions, auto high beam etc. So in other words it sounds like the capability of my 69 Nova that I drove cross country 50 years ago and I was perfectly happy with driving it :D Gee, some of sure have become spoiled... Me included of course :)
Some people seem to be able to go back to a prior version. Not sure how.