Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning to Autopilot users in Socal on the 5 FWY south bound in Burbank

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys.

There is construction on the I5 in Burbank and today before the Verdugo off-ramp heading southbound my car jumped a lane without warning while on Autopilot (from the fast lane to the lane on the right). I believe the position of the sunlight reflecting off of the road in conjunction with the grooves of the freeway which aligned with the route the car took are the main culprits. It was still a very uncomfortable situation. Luckily I did look around me before the car veered off into the wrong lane. Not sure if the car would have done this if there was a car next to me on the next lane over.

The car also went over the left lane marker on the fast lane which was very scary.

Be careful on this section of the freeway. It has been under construction for months and this is not the first time the car acted strangely while autopilot is engaged.

Video would be helpful- you should at least have dashcam vid... ideal would also be a video from inside the car showing the display and what state AP is in and what it was doing.

Tesla would be interested in seeing that too if you have it (or can replicate it)

Reactions: beachmiles
Be careful on this section of the freeway. It has been under construction for months and this is not the first time the car acted strangely while autopilot is engaged.

That would be enough for me to stop trying to use AP on that stretch of road. If there's anything tricky, like super narrow lanes or construction, I don't trust it.

There are also sections of freeway around LA that basically have no shoulder, so a lot of debris piles up and intrudes a bit into the fast lane. AP has come close to hitting stuff while I was driving there.

Reactions: goldengate
Video would be helpful- you should at least have dashcam vid... ideal would also be a video from inside the car showing the display and what state AP is in and what it was doing.

Tesla would be interested in seeing that too if you have it (or can replicate it)
Yes, I downloaded video a few minutes after the incident (after I remembered that my car had that feature). I'll look for it tonight and loaded on here.

Reactions: Knightshade
I'm in the Burbank area frequently and I nowadays always turn off AP when approaching this area. My car has only successfully made that curve once out of many times.

Side note: On the opposite side of the freeway (5 northbound) around the Hollywood Way exit, TACC will randomly reduce speed to 35mph on the freeway (when other cars are going 70mph+). Likely due to GPS/maps issue?

Side note: On the opposite side of the freeway (5 northbound) around the Hollywood Way exit, TACC will randomly reduce speed to 35mph on the freeway (when other cars are going 70mph+). Likely due to GPS/maps issue?

Yep, I've seen the same in that area. My guess is that the construction has shifted traffic far enough to the right for the car to think you're on the off-ramp.

Yeah, mine does that all the time in this area. It also tries to smash through the barriers in the closed exit if you have NoA enabled and it thinks it's still open.

Sometimes it even ignores the exit after that one even if NoA says it'll get out there. The exact opposite problem as the one above.

I pass through there so often that nowadays I just giggle at it every time it tries to kill me. :)

I never trust AP on that stretch of freeway! It’s not that bad anymore luckily. A few months ago there were half erased lane lines and barriers sticking out into the left lane. It’s gotten much better now but there are sections with sharp turns where there’s a faded line that goes straight and the car decides to follow that instead of the lane line. One day they’ll finish construction on that stretch of freeway... one day

My policy. Construction zone = AP Off

I never trust AP on that stretch of freeway! It’s not that bad anymore luckily. A few months ago there were half erased lane lines and barriers sticking out into the left lane. It’s gotten much better now but there are sections with sharp turns where there’s a faded line that goes straight and the car decides to follow that instead of the lane line. One day they’ll finish construction on that stretch of freeway... one day

yes that. I drive that section almost on weekly basis and it’s one of the few local freeway sections where I won’t use AutoPilot. Lanes are not clearly marked, old markings are still there and no should. Basically, if construction I drive. Tesla is a bit too risky for that so far.

Hi guys.

There is construction on the I5 in Burbank and today before the Verdugo off-ramp heading southbound my car jumped a lane without warning while on Autopilot (from the fast lane to the lane on the right). I believe the position of the sunlight reflecting off of the road in conjunction with the grooves of the freeway which aligned with the route the car took are the main culprits. It was still a very uncomfortable situation. Luckily I did look around me before the car veered off into the wrong lane. Not sure if the car would have done this if there was a car next to me on the next lane over.

The car also went over the left lane marker on the fast lane which was very scary.

I don't think I would be exaggerating if I said that section of freeway has been under construction for at least ten years.