Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Art. I'm with you on this one. I'm with the community where don't rip off the customer especially when you can get TONS of goodwill by doing the right thing.

I have a Lexus that I wanted some squeaks and rattles address 2 months after the warranty expired. The dealership pretty much said buzz off. I will never purchase a Lexus again. Especially won't have anything to do with the dealer (Lexus of Bellevue).

I think the people see this as a cosmetic issue and don't feel you pain. Wait until someone's PEM or Battery fails 3 months after warranty. I'm willing to bet there will be much more uproar when they get a bill for $13k or $40k.

I love my roadster. I love it so much that along with most of Tesla owners out there, I feel like I'm a walking commercial for Tesla. I speak nothing but good things about it. However, I could easily trash the car as well. I don't talk about how loud the car is (easily the loudest car I've ever owned). I don't talk about the poor craftsmanship of the interior (more rattles than I can possibly count). I don't talk about how the regen eats up the super expensive tires. I don't talk about the huge blind spot. I don't talk about expensive repairs. I don't talk about PEM/Battery replacement stats from Tom's survey.

Some of the negative stuff can be attributed to Lotus. Some to Tesla. Either way, the buck stops with Tesla. I understand that high-end exotic motoring doesn't come cheap. But given how virtually every Roadster owner supported Tesla either financially or publicly, they could throw a bone this way once in awhile. Especially if its not going to cost them much. I don't know the cost of repainting that hood of yours, maybe its ridiculously high. Who knows. But for the guy who has to go in once a month to reset the TPMS, I hope he's not getting charged for it after warranty expires. That should be a recall item. We put up with the short comings of the car because its an amazing car. The passion of Tesla owners, especially Roadster owners, should be appreciated more by the head office. Just my 2-cents.

I always try on the other side's shoes to see how it looks from their perspective. My company makes these gadgets, which we sell with a one year warranty. Essentially we book a certain percentage from each sale as a self-insurance premium, which given the average repair frequency should cover things for the warranty period, on average anyway. Sometimes the customer damages his unit, and if it isn't obviously and egregiously their fault we fix (often replace) it anyway... and we'll even fix it ONCE even if it is pretty clearly their fault, as long as they didn't completely demolish it (one guy dropped his unit more than 30 feet... we can't fix fragments...).

Okay, so now the warranty period goes by, and eight months later they report some fault with their unit. An electronic component failed. Is it reasonable for us to be held liable? Our self-insurance "premium" has been consumed by this point. Now you're really costing us money if we fix it for free.

I completely agree that there's a cost to repairs. Even something as trivial as HVAC knobs (raise your hand if you needed at least one replacement) has material and administrative costs to it.

I'm singling out Tesla now but it really applies to all other companies.

For example, I'm 2 months out on warranty, I need HVAC knob replaced. Technically speaking, in theory, you can be billed for the knob (maybe $5, maybe $10), and 30 minutes installation fee (some places round to nearest hour). Now we're talking $150-ish total out of pocket. Sure, the knob isn't free, so there's a cost. 30 minutes of time isn't out of the question (even though actual installation took 30 seconds) because that's how you book appointments. Or, they could just order it, pop it in, really didn't mess up anyone's schedule, not charge anything. Customer goes home feeling awesome about the experience.

Its just good-will, that's all I'm saying.

Painting the hood is no small task. And I don't know how much Tesla was going to charge for doing it or replacing it. If Tesla offered to do it for free after the expiration of warranty, then Art should name his first born Elon. If they offered a fair price that's obvious Tesla is not getting rich off it, then it would be fair. If they charge the full fee of the hood (must be thousands of dollars since a door sill is $1200), then it leaves a bad taste. The car is still driveable, nobody is getting screwed on this.

Goodwill. That's all I'm saying.

I think the people see this as a cosmetic issue and don't feel you pain. Wait until someone's PEM or Battery fails 3 months after warranty. I'm willing to bet there will be much more uproar when they get a bill for $13k or $40k.
Well the fact that it is a cosmetic issue is EXACTLY why I don't feel his pain. The defect has been there in plain view for the life of the car and so could have been brought in within the warranty period. That is completely different to a PEM failing just after warranty since you had no idea there was a problem until it happened.

Based on the picture I actually think it looks kind of cool as you can see the carbon fiber weave under the paint.

Tesla should allow the Art to purchase the newly offered extended warranty and fix this issue under the guidelines outlined in that warranty. Win Win

A little OT: I have noticed that Tesla does indeed treat 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc Roadster owners a bit differently than original Roadster owners. This was apparent during the Model S reservation process.

Well the fact that it is a cosmetic issue is EXACTLY why I don't feel his pain. The defect has been there in plain view for the life of the car and so could have been brought in within the warranty period. ...

And he's a second owner. Roadster buyers went "all-in" by risking the full $100K buying a car from an unproven company. Tesla saw none of that from a 3rd party used car purchase.