Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty on used cars from Tesla for Drivetrain/Battery also extended?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the 1 year extended warranty also apply to the Drivetrain/Battery standard of 8 years? I was told from someone at Tesla yes but It's hard to believe what anyone there says TBH.

Reading through this I still did not really see it.

https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty

Actually under "Used Vehicle Limited Warranty" on that link it says:

The balance of original Battery and Drive Unit Limited warranty still applies for used vehicles.

What does that mean?

I found here that the battery/drive will not be extended on the used cars from them. Another example of people at Tesla just giving bad info. though

Last edited:
Does the 1 year extended warranty also apply to the Drivetrain/Battery standard of 8 years?
No. Battery/Drive unit warranty starts from the original date of the new car purchase.
The balance of original Battery and Drive Unit Limited warranty still applies for used vehicles.
Correct. As explained above. No extension for the Battery/Drive Unit warranty.
What does that mean?
That means if you bought a car with 119,999 miles on the odometer, you have only 1 more mile to claim the Battery/Drive Unit warranty.

That means if you bought a car with 7 years and 364 days under its belt, you have 1 more day to claim the Battery/Drive Unit warranty.

what they said ^^^

Correct, no additional battery and drive unit warranty in any shape or form from Tesla. Just the 8 year one from original purchase date.

However, i know the guys at XCare are working on rolling out a battery and drive unit extension. Not sure where that is yet, but its apparently coming.

Does the 1 year extended warranty also apply to the Drivetrain/Battery standard of 8 years? I was told from someone at Tesla yes but It's hard to believe what anyone there says TBH.

Reading through this I still did not really see it.

https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty

Actually under "Used Vehicle Limited Warranty" on that link it says:

What does that mean?

I found here that the battery/drive will not be extended on the used cars from them. Another example of people at Tesla just giving bad info. though

No, the Used Vehicle warranty only adds a year of the factory limited warranty, not the Battery and Drive Unit. Tesla does not offer any upgrades to battery and drive unit warranty. To my knowledge, XCare is the best route for that.