Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Helvetia (& Tesla?) no longer offering extended warranties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, heard nothing. Mine runs it on 31st.

I brought it up in an unrelated service request and was told that as long as I’d emailed the address they gave before it expired, it would be honoured. This is what the website (still) says too.

I find it all pretty unpromising though. What happens if they just decide that they aren’t going to offer an extended warranty at all? What is my recourse if they say that I don’t qualify for it after all, e.g. the online application doesn’t let me buy it? They haven’t asked for any details about my car, it’s VIN or mileage. All I’ve had is basically an auto responder email to my request.

So yeah, no progress and I’m not comforted by it.

Reactions: Dilly
Looks like it’s available again now.

Now provided by a company called “Millennium”. At initial glance looks to be the same arrangement & exclusions as before.

Tesla’s page hasn’t updated, still saying you need to email them because “the sales journey isn’t available”, but Marsh’s website has.

Link per the opening post.

Have emailed them to try and get clarity, as £2.7k (quote for 4 years for my 2020 M3P) is a lot to spend on something that isn’t official.

Reactions: Burley and Dilly

Now provided by a company called “Millennium”. At initial glance looks to be the same arrangement & exclusions as before.

Tesla’s page hasn’t updated, still saying you need to email them because “the sales journey isn’t available”, but Marsh’s website has.

Have emailed them to try and get clarity, as £2.7k (quote for 4 years for my 2020 M3P) is a lot to spend on something that isn’t official.
2.7k for very limited warranty!?!?

What has to break in covered scope to fill this black hole!?

2.7k for very limited warranty!?!?

What has to break in covered scope to fill this black hole!?
lots!
in fact LOTS!!!

as ever with insurance it is a statistical bet.
The insurance company with make money else they wouldn't offer it.
Let's say out of £900 pa they make £300, so you are looking at the likelihood of £1800 worth of failures in 3 years.
Tesla labour is £150 ph?
Mostly the newer Teslas are actually very reliable, in spite of the endless crass reports by those with alternate agendas, but you can barely take any car into service these days without coming out with a multi £x00 bill and quite easily into 4 digits, and Tesla is a premium brand, so expect premium costs.

The one particular saving grace is the warranty is offered through Tesla, therefore any claim is handled directly by service, you don't need to get involved with claims, if the work is covered you just get a £0 bill, and trust me that lack of hassle really is worth some, in spite of the somewhat pernicious exclusions.

Lastly as I will probably sell mine privately, I reckon that it is probably worth a bit to a future owner, as I sure as heck would not touch an out of warranty Model S.

As for the gamble - well are you feeling lucky?

Reactions: Durzel
Has anyone who sent a mail whilst in warranty but whose basic has now expired heard anything? Just wondering if the idea is to go through and purchase (or at least look) from the link on the Tesla site ir if we need to wait for a direct communication?

lots!
in fact LOTS!!!

as ever with insurance it is a statistical bet.
The insurance company with make money else they wouldn't offer it.
Let's say out of £900 pa they make £300, so you are looking at the likelihood of £1800 worth of failures in 3 years.
Tesla labour is £150 ph?
Mostly the newer Teslas are actually very reliable, in spite of the endless crass reports by those with alternate agendas, but you can barely take any car into service these days without coming out with a multi £x00 bill and quite easily into 4 digits, and Tesla is a premium brand, so expect premium costs.

The one particular saving grace is the warranty is offered through Tesla, therefore any claim is handled directly by service, you don't need to get involved with claims, if the work is covered you just get a £0 bill, and trust me that lack of hassle really is worth some, in spite of the somewhat pernicious exclusions.

Lastly as I will probably sell mine privately, I reckon that it is probably worth a bit to a future owner, as I sure as heck would not touch an out of warranty Model S.

As for the gamble - well are you feeling lucky?
Likewise I wouldn’t say it’s “worth” £2.7k, but the first time you get a major bill you’ll be wondering whether you should’ve got it. As you say it’s a bet against whether you think the car will fail.

The fact it’s treated by Tesla as an official extension (exclusions notwithstanding) and stays with the car - so adds value to new owner - has value. I don’t think I’d want to try selling my car without a warranty, straight away you have a smaller pool of interested buyers, unless you chop it into the trade.

Reactions: Burley
Likewise I wouldn’t say it’s “worth” £2.7k, but the first time you get a major bill you’ll be wondering whether you should’ve got it. As you say it’s a bet against whether you think the car will fail.

The fact it’s treated by Tesla as an official extension (exclusions notwithstanding) and stays with the car - so adds value to new owner - has value. I don’t think I’d want to try selling my car without a warranty, straight away you have a smaller pool of interested buyers, unless you chop it into the trade.
Is it definitely transferable to a new owner? I have had extended warrentys that are not.

Hi Durzel, I'm confused by the link in the opening post. That link just goes to the Tesla page saying sales journey not available. Is there a link we can see the Millennium offer?

Hi Durzel, I'm confused by the link in the opening post. That link just goes to the Tesla page saying sales journey not available. Is there a link we can see the Millennium offer?
You just need to click the button at the bottom of that page. Takes you to the same page as it always used to, only now you can complete the form.

The form talks about the car needing to be under the original warranty to qualify, but Tesla's page said that people who emailed them before their warranty ran out would qualify.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who did this whether there was any issues signing up for this.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
Tesla have updated their website to officially talk about Millenium being the partner for insurance. No mention of "sales journey not being available" or honouring previous emails, etc.....

Has anyone who fell out of warranty but emailed them beforehand bought this extended warranty?