Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was Model 3 Door Hinge Damaged While Being “Swung” Open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to damage the doors (hinge area) on a Model 3 by trying to open them past the limit?

For example, I had a family member attempt to “swing” it open and I heard a loud click/crack noise but everything is opening and closing fine.

Replicated the test, you can hear the crack in one video and it appears the bottom portion of the bottom piece sort of separates from the bottom when attempting to do it. Wondering if that’s normal or an issue (both of my doors do the separation at the bottom of the hinge, but only one makes the cracking noise).

Last edited:
Edit - To be clear, it doesn’t crack like it shows in the first video every time...just very, very randomly when swinging it open with force.

The second video, showing the “flex” separation, happens with both back doors...those noises seem “normal” when swinging the doors open.

I checked all the screws on the hinges and all of them appear to be as tight/snug as can be.

Just thought I’d ask for everyone’s feedback.

Last edited:
I can't speak for a Tesla Model 3, but I can tell you what the Nissan body shop told me for my 1990 Nissan 300ZX many years ago. I took the car in because the door was sagging and hard to close. Body shop told me it was due to the weight of the door. He then mentioned the most frequent door repairs (not from a collision) are from the hinges and body being stressed when the door is opened passed the stop point, typically by a strong gust of wind. Again, that was for a Nissan 300ZX.......

I can't speak for a Tesla Model 3, but I can tell you what the Nissan body shop told me for my 1990 Nissan 300ZX many years ago. I took the car in because the door was sagging and hard to close. Body shop told me it was due to the weight of the door. He then mentioned the most frequent door repairs (not from a collision) are from the hinges and body being stressed when the door is opened passed the stop point, typically by a strong gust of wind. Again, that was for a Nissan 300ZX.......
Does your door do this? You don’t have to push it open very hard...if it’s fully open and you slightly press on it, the back doors should flex like this in the bottom hinge area. The front don’t.

Not sure if it’s normal or if it’s an issue.

Last edited: