Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was suppose to pick up the my M3 today but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats, living vicariously through forum-goers like yourself is the only way I would know. I hope I'm still breathing whenever they decide my Model 3 is delivery-ready. This Thursday will mark week 4 (no returned calls on the last 2 attempts for status updates).

Do you remember where you may have read this? I found it curious -- not saying that you're wrong -- but couldn't find anything via a quick Google search.

My best friend in high school and college had mentioned it a long time ago when he worked as a Chevrolet salesman. He had lots of stories about what he sold and how he was trained to do it. I tried to google too, but I cannot find any statistics. I found a few things here on this forum and a few on other brand forums, but nothing significant.

I did find the law I quoted above, and similar versions in many states. So body repairs definitely happen on new cars and it is considered acceptable and doesn't require disclosure. I'm also curious if the dealer owned body shop can can provide a discount to keep the cost low to keep from triggering the law.

My best friend in high school and college had mentioned it a long time ago when he worked as a Chevrolet salesman. He had lots of stories about what he sold and how he was trained to do it. I tried to google too, but I cannot find any statistics. I found a few things here on this forum and a few on other brand forums, but nothing significant.

I did find the law I quoted above, and similar versions in many states. So body repairs definitely happen on new cars and it is considered acceptable and doesn't require disclosure. I'm also curious if the dealer owned body shop can can provide a discount to keep the cost low to keep from triggering the law.

I mean, it makes sense. Tesla ships their cars from Fremont and the deliveries experience the occasional (dare I say -- frequent) dents and scratches. Now imagine a company such as BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, etc... that makes several models outside the U.S. and has to put the cars on an ocean liner, then onto a semi, train, or both. Its likely to highly likely some of the cars will get damaged. It would not make business sense to completely reject the cars, so I'm sure the manufacturer or dealer pays for a body shop to repair damage before it gets delivered or reaches the lot.

As for the customer being notified that the car they received or are about to purchase was fixed at a body shop... I have no idea what the laws (if any) are. Would be nice to know though.

I just have never thought of this situation until I read your post.

I quoted the law for one state in this very same thread post #18 - Was suppose to pick up the my M3 today but... I found a few other similar laws in other states. I didn't try to find all of the states by any means. Mostly trying to satisfy my curiosity from this thread.

My friend said they repaired a lot of cars that came in scratched from shipping and those that had accidents during test drives.

Was suppose to pick up my red model 3 this past Monday, but I find out it's also in body shop for "paint repairs".

Very bummed. They wouldn't tell me any details other than it may take a while and it could require painting a large portion In order to properly blend. I'm sure the factory paint is better compared to body shop.thinking of refusing delivery ...

Reactions: Asad1087
Was suppose to pick up my red model 3 this past Monday, but I find out it's also in body shop for "paint repairs".

Very bummed. They wouldn't tell me any details other than it may take a while and it could require painting a large portion In order to properly blend. I'm sure the factory paint is better compared to body shop.thinking of refusing delivery ...
I feel for you and anyone else in the same situation. I'm concerned as my delivery approaches in a couple weeks.

I would't blame you if you rejected, they should have many of them stashed for the Q3 post 200K flood.

Tesla pays for the gas for ICE loaners.
errr, yeah so I just accidentally filled up my ICE loaner with a full tank of gas about an hour ago even though it was at half when I picked it up last week. I'm turning it in tomorrow and <cough> taking delivery, I was so filled with the nestalgia of my last gas fill up that I was looking at the gallon total instead of the price. :( But then now you say that they pay for the gas....and so I didn't even need to put any in at all! :( Well at least I have a receipt of a final fill up that I can frame.

errr, yeah so I just accidentally filled up my ICE loaner with a full tank of gas about an hour ago even though it was at half when I picked it up last week. I'm turning it in tomorrow and <cough> taking delivery, I was so filled with the nestalgia of my last gas fill up that I was looking at the gallon total instead of the price. :( But then now you say that they pay for the gas....and so I didn't even need to put any in at all! :( Well at least I have a receipt of a final fill up that I can frame.
Can't you give them the receipt and have them reimburse you?

Bring the receipt, they will reimburse you. FYI you don't need to fill it up like a rental car, bring it back on fumes since they are paying for it either way.

So the time has finally arrived that I'll be picking up the M3 on Monday. It was ready last night but my schedule isn't going to allow me to get in any earlier. So it was fun driving the MS but I can tell it going to help a lot to have the long range m3 for those times you just need to drive a little faster or having to go on an unexpected trip. The work that they had to do was minor in regards to some scratches to the metal near the kickpanel. I'm going to have to go through this thing with a fine tooth comb.

Any advice i should keep in eye out on the car besides the repair area?

So the time has finally arrived that I'll be picking up the M3 on Monday. It was ready last night but my schedule isn't going to allow me to get in any earlier. So it was fun driving the MS but I can tell it going to help a lot to have the long range m3 for those times you just need to drive a little faster or having to go on an unexpected trip. The work that they had to do was minor in regards to some scratches to the metal near the kickpanel. I'm going to have to go through this thing with a fine tooth comb.

Any advice i should keep in eye out on the car besides the repair area?

If you're meant to get one of the miniature Model 3s don't forget to also check it for panel gaps. I took delivery of my big Model 3 but refused delivery for the miniature.