Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing Car w/Ceramic Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my LR-AWD in September, and put NexGen ceramic coating on it.

OK... I realize there are a lot of "enthusiasts" here. HOWEVER, how many people here just wash their cars without all the fancy soaps and foam guns and all, and still have a nice finish?

Do I REALLY have to have a $2000 PPF and $1500 ceramic job and buy all this stuff to make the paint last?

Do I REALLY have to have a $2000 PPF and $1500 ceramic job and buy all this stuff to make the paint last?
Nope, not at all. What it all boils down to is what you consider an acceptable level of appearance and protection and how much effort (and expense) you want to put into it.

95% of people will look at a just washed car and say "Wow, that's shiny!" while I'd look at it and notice the flaws/swirls. It's the other 5% of us that head down the rabbit hole, looking for more.

I got my LR-AWD in September, and put NexGen ceramic coating on it.

OK... I realize there are a lot of "enthusiasts" here. HOWEVER, how many people here just wash their cars without all the fancy soaps and foam guns and all, and still have a nice finish?

It all depends on what you want. If you want your car to remain clean and shiny, then you will have to invest some money and time. Your paint job by itself is fine and has a clear coat to protect it. But it benefits by doing something more.

It also depends on the color of your Model 3. Darker shades will quickly get a dusty glow in sunlight that detracts from an otherwise shiny, lustrous finish. Lighter colors will show mud splatter a bit more prominently. In all cases, a ceramic coating greatly reduces the amount of maintenance and time required to keep the car looking new. A PPF will protect the car from rocks and dings.

I chose Pearl White because a) imo it looks great and shows off the Model 3's lines better than the other colors (again, imo) and b) it's the easiest color to maintain. I invested in a ceramic coating but not PPF. I don't go bats**t crazy with minor dings, I don't usually drive on country roads, I avoid (whenever possible) driving behind a dump or cement trucks, and dings on the white paint aren't as obvious as other colors.

The ceramic makes cleaning mud puddle splatter simple and fast. A fast spray with a non-wax cleaner, a swipe with microfiber and... done. Yesterday I cleaned the the doors, rear and front bumper of mud splatter in less than 10 mins.

Reactions: BudgetPlan1
For my RX I have xpel ultimate and I applied the ceramic coating. Pressure washing isn't that big of a deal and can be done super fast! When we get our next Tesla, it's gonna be white and xpel ultimate. Ceramic coating is great but it isn't as good as a clear bra like xpel. I still sometimes had some trouble getting out some stains on the ceramic coating but it is way easier than non coating .

I used this video to pressure wash and it's pretty easy peasy lemon squeezy: