Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington Post Tesla Fire hit piece

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my Y and LOVE it!! But, my SIL posted something about TESLAs catching on fire so now I'm freaking out. Basically, it could happen to ANY car right? Should I get a specific kind of fire extinguisher just in case, or is water the only thing that put these fires out.

Just picked up my Y and LOVE it!! But, my SIL posted something about TESLAs catching on fire so now I'm freaking out. Basically, it could happen to ANY car right? Should I get a specific kind of fire extinguisher just in case, or is water the only thing that put these fires out.

If you weren’t concerned about an extinguisher driving a gas car, you really shouldn’t be concerned about an extinguisher with an EV. Gas cars are much worse. Why does every EV fire make the news? Because they are so rare. Gas car fires happen all the time. Ever notice burn spots on Highway shoulders?

Just Google Ford fires, BMW fires, etc.

Not nearly as much to worry about as with a gasoline car.
BEV fires are far less common than gasoline fires.
When BEV fires do happen, it is most often while charging, so no one is in the vehicle.
Finally, when BEV fires occur following an accident, they are slow developing, giving occupants lots of time to escape before fire will have progressed very far.

I know of only two events where people died in a Tesla fire. One occurred when a teenager crashed a Model S at over 100 miles per hour in a residential street and the other was the idiot who allegedly tricked his car to drive itself with him in the back seat, crashing into a tree and trapping both occupants inside. Neither of those scenarios, I suspect, is likely to happen to you.

• Love
Reactions: Hunnyfly
Not nearly as much to worry about as with a gasoline car.
BEV fires are far less common than gasoline fires.
When BEV fires do happen, it is most often while charging, so no one is in the vehicle.
Finally, when BEV fires occur following an accident, they are slow developing, giving occupants lots of time to escape before fire will have progressed very far.

I know of only two events where people died in a Tesla fire. One occurred when a teenager crashed a Model S at over 100 miles per hour in a residential street and the other was the idiot who allegedly tricked his car to drive itself with him in the back seat, crashing into a tree and trapping both occupants inside. Neither of those scenarios, I suspect, is likely to happen to you.
That is really helpful :) I absolutely love this car and it's just so strange that people would focus on these types of things when they are not very common. Great info on the charging - Thanks!

If you weren’t concerned about an extinguisher driving a gas car, you really shouldn’t be concerned about an extinguisher with an EV. Gas cars are much worse. Why does every EV fire make the news? Because they are so rare. Gas car fires happen all the time. Ever notice burn spots on Highway shoulders?

Just Google Ford fires, BMW fires, etc.

Oh wow thank you! Yea, I literally never even thought of my car gas catching on fire before, but then I see a couple of random news feeds, and all rational thinking is gone lol - thank you for the reminder and the info :)