Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watch Autoline this week on Thursday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autoline Detroit will have the complete disassembly of a model 3 on this Thursday. It should be interesting. The teaser said there are some amazing things and also some very poor items discovered. It was done by an impartial testing firm.

Autoline Detroit will have the complete disassembly of a model 3 on this Thursday. It should be interesting. The teaser said there are some amazing things and also some very poor items discovered. It was done by an impartial testing firm.

Is this the disassembly done by Munro & Associates? I will be interested in seeing the results but calling Munro "impartial" is a stretch.

Reactions: smythey
This just came out and it's very, very long. But I found it worth watching. Essentially, a company bought two Model 3's, road tested them, then completely disassembled them. Their final report is a logbook of "what's good, what's not, and what's weird and inexplicable."
My takeaways:
1. Driving experience was very positive, except for wind noise at highway speed.
2. They loved the suspension.
3. The car was not really designed to be built by robots. There are unnecessary (and heavy) pieces (and combinations of pieces) that clumsily do a job that a better-designed part (or parts) could do more cheaply, more simply, and better. This adds costs, production time and weight.
3. People on the factory floor were not given sufficient time to learn how to put this car together, leading to inconsistencies in just about every area but one, and that stellar standout is:
4. The skateboard (batteries and electronic controllers) is revolutionary and technically gorgeous.
5. Fit and finish is on a par with a 1990's Kia (except when it's not, and that seems to be fairly random)
6. Tesla ignored the ways the Old Dinosaur automotive industry did things. On the electronics side, that was smart. On the production side, that was dumb, and maybe (if the goal is efficient mass production and adequate profit) fatal.
Watch it here:
Robin

Thats a pretty serious takeaway there... :eek:

RT
Not "fatal" as in, Tesla is going to dry up and blow away., But "fatal" as in a successful model launch that sells strongly and profitably into the entry-level luxury market segment. They proved they can dominate in the luxury segment. And as the reviewer said, a luxury vehicle manufacturer can do almost anything and still sell cars. Selling to buyers for mid-market vehicles (where the buyers are pickier and the margins are tighter) was always going to be tough. Personally, I still think they can pull it off. One test will be when the standard range model becomes available.
Robin

The car was built I'm sure with safety in mind. Wonder if the large heavy pieces and parts and pieces performed better structurally in a crash and that was what the end goal was while still producing a stylish car. Haven't watched the 1-1/2 video but will when I get a chance. Curious how things get assembled and in this case disassembled.
I wondered that, too. I was reminded of when GM bought Saab, and immediately ordered them to lighten up on the roof supports, because GM did not spend shareholder money keeping an upside down cabin intact.
The Swedes smiled and said they would lighten up the structure,save tons of weight and money, and sent GM home smiling. MIssion accomplished!
And then did nothing.
Maybe the reviewer was like those old GM guys.
Robin

Last edited:
Only 16 or so minutes in but Sandy Munro sure is impressed with the electronics and what will set Tesla apart for a while I think. Don't think he's found enough descriptive words/phrases to compare how good it is in his view and why others if they fail to recognize are making a fatal flaw in their thinking. As he said you can improve the dino parts like panels. Definitely the electronics is a big factor too in why Teslas are priced where they are. Compared the board he had to military grade electronics and a flight controller of an F-35.

Wonder how this compares to what's inside other EVs out there. Has he torn apart anything somewhat comparable?

Now he's moving on to the skateboard which he can't say enough about and sounds like the suspension wins his accolades as well. Makes me Tesla proud hearing his comments. Sure Franz and team are smiling.

BTW I'm assuming this was the second part of Monroe's assesment of the Model 3. Saw his video earlier when he did the test drive. I am surprised these guys (Munro/McElroy) reviewed the car's driving performance earlier without really taking it out on the highway and running it more through everyday types of situations if that's what I'm hearing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Sorry, have to comment on certain things as I watch. Now at the part where Sandy is talking about robots (20 some minutes in). Blind, one arm and idiot--only does one thing. Comment makes me wonder if he's seen were robotics is these days. Let alone robotics with AI technology. But he has an old recognition pin with a diamond in it for his previous work with robotics. Sorry but Sandy is sounding like a dinosaur.

Elon pushes technology in this industry and isn't afraid to try something different that he thinks can improve things. I'm sure he doesn't do it on a whim and he and team have thought through things ahead of time. It's kind of sad to hear people belittle him without probably really understanding where he's coming from and what he knows that maybe they don't. He's also smart and will admit when it doesn't work out but will sit there and work with his teams to figure it out instead of just dismissing it. He knew this production line was going to be production hell for good reason. Elon and SpaceX didn't get Stage Ones landing back on pads as a result of listening to others who said it couldn't be done.

Munro's comments about Kuka Robots (which Tesla is using) surprised me. And didn't Tesla design the Model 3 with robots in mind for assembly?

This is turning out to be a very interesting video. Thanks so much for posting it.

Last edited:
This just came out and it's very, very long. But I found it worth watching. Essentially, a company bought two Model 3's, road tested them, then completely disassembled them. Their final report is a logbook of "what's good, what's not, and what's weird and inexplicable."
My takeaways:
1. Driving experience was very positive, except for wind noise at highway speed.
2. They loved the suspension.
3. The car was not really designed to be built by robots. There are unnecessary (and heavy) pieces (and combinations of pieces) that clumsily do a job that a better-designed part (or parts) could do more cheaply, more simply, and better. This adds costs, production time and weight.
3. People on the factory floor were not given sufficient time to learn how to put this car together, leading to inconsistencies in just about every area but one, and that stellar standout is:
4. The skateboard (batteries and electronic controllers) is revolutionary and technically gorgeous.
5. Fit and finish is on a par with a 1990's Kia (except when it's not, and that seems to be fairly random)
6. Tesla ignored the ways the Old Dinosaur automotive industry did things. On the electronics side, that was smart. On the production side, that was dumb, and maybe (if the goal is efficient mass production and adequate profit) fatal.
Watch it here:
Robin

These guys crack me up with their vernier calipers. The average person and even the above average person has never noticed a millimeter or two panel gap. Honestly, how many people other than these techweenies can tell the difference between a "perfect" i3 and a less than perfect Model 3? I think most people just get in their car and enjoy it without agonizing over panel gaps. And honestly, very little of this matters in the performance of a car. My Model 3 looks perfect to me and has no rattles or squeaks, it's without question the highest quality car I have every owned. This is really just inside baseball that most people don't care about, in fact, most people don't even know what a panel gap is. To those that this does matter to.... buy an i3 instead and enjoy your 112 mile range, bicycle tires and Briggs and Stratton range extender. :D