Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water filtration system -SA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is for SA residents where we have awful water. Just wondering if anyone is using a whole of house water filtration system, and if so, does it eliminate the need to dry off your car to ensure residue spots don't settle on car

This is for SA residents where we have awful water. Just wondering if anyone is using a whole of house water filtration system, and if so, does it eliminate the need to dry off your car to ensure residue spots don't settle on car
I’m in Canberra and no idea in the difference in our water quality, but I have to dry my car with a drying towel to avoid the lovely white spots/rings which are most visible on the windows for me (as MY is white). But my dark blue Audi gets a dry, or sometimes a blow down with a clean battery powered yard leaf blower. If not the white rings abound.

Be interested in any filtration solutions that could help.

whole of house water filtration
Will not get rid of water spots on car

Only the following will:
Reverse Osmosis / distilled water
Water softening - resin beads and brine tank
Simply adding a bit of vinegar to the final wash.
Dry the car with a chamois before the water drops evaporate
White car.

The water softening - Tank of water with resin beads have a negative charge and absord the positively charged calcium and iron minerals. The used resin beads are reactivated by placing the beads into a brine tank (very salty water). The consumable is salt. But then where are you going to dispose of the brine periodically?

• Informative
Reactions: Maximillan
Will not get rid of water spots on car

Only the following will:
Reverse Osmosis / distilled water
Water softening - resin beads and brine tank
Simply adding a bit of vinegar to the final wash.
Dry the car with a chamois before the water drops evaporate
White car.

The water softening - Tank of water with resin beads have a negative charge and absord the positively charged calcium and iron minerals. The used resin beads are reactivated by placing the beads into a brine tank (very salty water). The consumable is salt. But then where are you going to dispose of the brine periodically?
Yes, did a lot of googling last night, water filtration won't sort out the issue. So quickst, putting vinegar in a bucket of water then splashing it on car as a final rinse will alleviate water spotting

Vinegar in water will remove water spots but if you threw a bucket of water with some vinegar in it over the car and left it you'd still get spots. You would still need to dry it with a microfibre to prevent staining.

A deionisation (DI) resin-based system is the most effective way of avoiding water spots and you don't need to dry off the car after the final rinse. You can't reactivate the resin with salt but there are systems which use an in-line salt filter in conjunction with the DI resin which reportedly makes the resin last a lot longer before you need to replace it.

Once you have DI water you can also use it to wash your house windows and other glossy surfaces and avoid spots.

My water down south of adelaide is shocking.
I did look into putting some filters on the house supply to also assist with all the other washing machines etc.

With the car i wash it in the shade, and then use a big boi filtered air blower to dry it. The ceramic coating really helps here. Sometimes ill then go over it with one of those soft green car wiping towel things,
Mine is Stealth Grey so its pretty obvious with water marks, after the advice on here to get the big boi blower ive been stoked.

• Love
Reactions: Tesl3on
My water down south of adelaide is shocking.
I did look into putting some filters on the house supply to also assist with all the other washing machines etc.

With the car i wash it in the shade, and then use a big boi filtered air blower to dry it. The ceramic coating really helps here. Sometimes ill then go over it with one of those soft green car wiping towel things,
Mine is Stealth Grey so its pretty obvious with water marks, after the advice on here to get the big boi blower ive been stoked.
I was looking at the big boi, which one do you have. Is it quicker to use than towel drying

Reactions: dronus
I was looking at the big boi, which one do you have. Is it quicker to use than towel drying
I have the Big Boy Mini. It goes on sale every now and then at Repco. It could do with a longer cord, but i just plug it into a short extension lead .

Im not really timing how long it takes to wash and dry the car etc but my observations after going to air drying:

- It dries the surface with clean, filtered, warm air, so no lint.
- It moves all the water the first time, including all the grooves where usually water drips out of after ive been past with a towel. Especially good around the lights, boot etc.
- no risk of swirling any FOD into the paint.
- The dog loves it too, and i use it on him to blow his loose hair over the fence onto the neighbors washing on their clothes line.
- I also use it to blow all of the pubes out of the cabin. The neighbours sometimes blow all the dog hair and pubes back over the fence so its a bit of too and fro until the pubes get blown down the road into the creek. Pube volleyball of sorts. Should be an olympic sport IMO.
- It comes with a few nozzles. I use the small round one. It easily blows all the water off and all of the maccas chips out from under the seats.
- I dont have to wash towels and then get anxious when i hang them out to dry when i hear the neighbor blowing pubes and hair back over the fence.

Thats about it. I highly recommend it.

Disclaimer - im not affiliated with Big Boi or car parts stores, and i enjoy washing the car and seeing it clean.

• Funny
Reactions: Wagits
This is a well proven solution for this issue, buy it when it's on special.

Reactions: elddum and dronus
Wow they are pricey!

A drying towel (at $30) and 10 mins of my life to dry feels like the better option. And you’d take the about the same time with the blower as well.

Each to their own.

I also enjoy washing the car and seeing it sparkle!
We in Adelaide love upsetting the neighbours so Big Boi it is. So, I ended up getting my money back from those bozos that did my Paint protection. The car is now at a reputable place who need it for 2 days. When I got there they put the light over the paintwork and there were heaps of minor scratches on the duco. So it needs a bit of paint correction. They said it was probably caused by washing the car. I told them I havent washed it yet. So it was all caused by the bozos applying the coating on my car without preparing it first. I also got this mob to re-do the window tinting again, as the Bozo mob stuffed that up as well.

Reactions: dronus
This is a well proven solution for this issue, buy it when it's on special.

I have a couple of these i bought on special too, very good. Ive found it useful to throw them in the dryer after washing them to keep them soft before using them. Also helps remove any lint/pubes.

We in Adelaide love upsetting the neighbours so Big Boi it is. So, I ended up getting my money back from those bozos that did my Paint protection. The car is now at a reputable place who need it for 2 days. When I got there they put the light over the paintwork and there were heaps of minor scratches on the duco. So it needs a bit of paint correction. They said it was probably caused by washing the car. I told them I havent washed it yet. So it was all caused by the bozos applying the coating on my car without preparing it first. I also got this mob to re-do the window tinting again, as the Bozo mob stuffed that up as well.
hopefully they do the job to your satisfaction and you get to relax and enjoy driving it soon :)

Then get extra paranoid when parking in carparks hahaha