Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water in rear storage area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's probably going to be the rear applique. It was replaced on mine for the same issue. The problem is the seal shrinks a little bit, with age and can let water in, if it's coming at just the right angle.

As for the remark of "Guarantee Porsche, Mercedes and BMW don't treat their customers like this," you should just do a little web search for horror stories, causing greater mental anguish to other owners. The experience I had with the MB that my Tesla replaced, makes your experience seem like a rather pleasant interaction. ;)
Ok so the car is 4 months old so the "with age" doesn't apply. Having owned 7 BMWs over three states and 6 dealers I can tell you tesla sucks by comparison in service.

Reactions: gabeincal
It's probably going to be the rear applique. It was replaced on mine for the same issue. The problem is the seal shrinks a little bit, with age and can let water in, if it's coming at just the right angle.

My water leak occurred within the first month of delivery from the factory, so in my case it wasn't due to shrinkage over time.

IMG_20210708_150617.jpg

A couple of days ago I found my P85 like this.

Never noticed any water falling
from the inside of the gate but I do remember that in 2018 a couple of rubber parts at the bottom of the gate were replaced to allow proper drainage.

I've probably spent the last 2 years without checking under the 3rd row of seats, so can't say when it started to take in water.

It looks like there is way more water on the left side, but I couldn't find any wet spots behind all those lateral pieces of carpet.

Could it be from the charge port/tail light? Roof leaking/drains plugged?

To whomever ends up in this thread, the water was coming in via the charging port's drain tube, more specifically at end of it, when it goes through the rear panel. This final rubber grommet seemed to be in place, but it certainly doesn't do its job properly. I've cleaned it, applied some liquid gasket/silicone and reinstalled it.
IMG_20210710_205149.jpg

I hope it rains tonight to confirm that the "leak" is fixed.

Reactions: Gtech
Something similar happened to me, but it was due to water leaking through the tail light assembly/applique (see various threads re: moisture inside tail lens). Something to do with a leaky seal that caused water to accumulate inside the rear liftgate and at one point would pour water down inside whenever I opened the liftgate.

Maybe yours is a subtle leak, but that's where mine occurred. Service center ended up replacing the rear carpet area (they discovered the dampness in the storage area during the inspection).
You helped me with this issue, Found water in the left rear tail light. In Garage no issue but in rain it filled the whole rear trunk lid & when the boot/trunk was raised water poured from almost every opening. Removed the trim as I could not get my forearms through the hole far enough. Once I got the tail light off I found that the rubber seal had sagged & was collecting water & diverting it into the tail light & the boot lid. I removed the seal & re fitted it & hopefully the issue is now sorted. I am certain this was from a replacement of the rear light as many of the plastic trim clips were broken or mis shaped

Reactions: Joelc