Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water in taillight (scheduled service for next week but still salty about this)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Washing car on Saturday and water got into the rear inside right taillight. Looks like just condensation but water got in. Haven’t touched the taillights so definitely on Tesla.

Attachments

• 6FE8446C-A549-4EAB-BD95-60323A5592A7.jpeg
    6FE8446C-A549-4EAB-BD95-60323A5592A7.jpeg
    560.9 KB · Views: 129
You're lucky if they actually replace it. My service center here told me to pound sand essentially. It sucks because I live in an area where it rains nearly 200 days of the year. Their response "well, in the summer at least you won't have condensation in your fog and tail lights". Unbelievable response even if it was a base model KIA. I love the car, but man the service here is awful. I also have really squeaky windows that sound horrible being rolled up and down, and I was again told "this is normal".

• Informative
Reactions: Rastayang
Just curious if anyone has had any success with a home remedy. Perhaps gently heating the tail light with a hair dryer?

I was curious about that as well. I have a service scheduled already. Did it as soon as it happened but seems like they will just replace it like you said. Car is 2 months old so don’t think I’ll have issues, but we’ll see! I’d like to try the home remedy for the simple fact it hasn’t gone away completely and it’s really bugging me but at same time don’t wanna mess with it too much and then have Tesla asking questions like I messed with it lol

I noticed a tiny bit of condensation in my left inside tail light when my first picked up my car. It rained for most of the beginning of December in the Bay Area, so eventually my light looked like yours. By the third week, it was a pool that sloshed around inside the light. Mobile service came out Dec. 26th and swapped it right out. There was a manufacturing defect that didn’t seal a huge gap along the edge and service tech joked he saw the problem and pointed to the made in USA stamp on it. He said most of the light assemblies he is given to replace with are Made in Mexico or Made in Canada. Also when he removed my trunk liner, he unsnapped around 5 grommets, when he went to reinstall, it was more like 10-12 grommets that needed to be replaced. They are colored black, blue, and white depending on the size. I assume the factory just put in just the amount needed to hold it in place to rush the car off the line.

I noticed a tiny bit of condensation in my left inside tail light when my first picked up my car. It rained for most of the beginning of December in the Bay Area, so eventually my light looked like yours. By the third week, it was a pool that sloshed around inside the light. Mobile service came out Dec. 26th and swapped it right out. There was a manufacturing defect that didn’t seal a huge gap along the edge and service tech joked he saw the problem and pointed to the made in USA stamp on it. He said most of the light assemblies he is given to replace with are Made in Mexico or Made in Canada. Also when he removed my trunk liner, he unsnapped around 5 grommets, when he went to reinstall, it was more like 10-12 grommets that needed to be replaced. They are colored black, blue, and white depending on the size. I assume the factory just put in just the amount needed to hold it in place to rush the car off the line.

oh yeah it’s a solid amount in mine. Everytime I open my trunk I can hear it moving around. Guy will be here the 10th so hopefully all goes well!

You're lucky if they actually replace it. My service center here told me to pound sand essentially. It sucks because I live in an area where it rains nearly 200 days of the year. Their response "well, in the summer at least you won't have condensation in your fog and tail lights". Unbelievable response even if it was a base model KIA. I love the car, but man the service here is awful. I also have really squeaky windows that sound horrible being rolled up and down, and I was again told "this is normal".

Same here, but I guess we're both in BC. I had fogging in both tail lights, both fog+indicator lights, inside the pillar cameras... basically everywhere but the headlights thank goodness. And apparently it's "normal".

Same here, but I guess we're both in BC. I had fogging in both tail lights, both fog+indicator lights, inside the pillar cameras... basically everywhere but the headlights thank goodness. And apparently it's "normal".
Yeah the quality control is awful, the only worse thing is the service center that seems completely unconcerned that my new car already has water intrusion into the lights.

My left rear tail light had water condensation, I thought it'll go away after a few weeks, but a month later it's still there. I scheduled for service via my iPhone, Tesla tech came over my house and replaced the faulty rear light with new one in like 5 min.
I experience with Tesla service has been pleasant so far.

Reactions: Rastayang
This happens any time it rains or we wash the car. Both tail lights but moreso the one on the driver's side where Tesla already fixed body panel gaps. Happens infrequently with the headlights. Also I notice water under the trunk sometimes too. I really wish the quality control on these 4th quarter deliveries was better. I really think they tried way to hard to pump these out and overlooked a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_20200223_132526_MP.jpg
    IMG_20200223_132526_MP.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 58