Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moisture condensation in taillights, fog lights, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had mine replaced last weekend by mobile service was quick.
They just pop out the old one and pop in a new one.
It's covered on warrantee as well.

Seems like a lot of people see this issue.

Your lucky, Tesla here in the Uk (where obviously it rains a lot!) have told me it’s normal and the won’t do anything. My lights have been permanently fogged since I get the car in December... £50k car, 10 year old looking lights!

B5309ECD-4F82-437C-9F0E-3E79C50680A3.jpeg
229EE9DE-55F0-4DA2-BF6A-9376F0A150D8.jpeg

Attachments

• 66AD997C-32D3-4D8B-9B53-5F95E4B7775F.jpeg
    66AD997C-32D3-4D8B-9B53-5F95E4B7775F.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 246
Your lucky, Tesla here in the Uk (where obviously it rains a lot!) have told me it’s normal and the won’t do anything. My lights have been permanently fogged since I get the car in December... £50k car, 10 year old looking lights!

View attachment 507485 View attachment 507486

Wow. It's so easy to DIY fix these tail lights, I just can't understand why you are torturing yourself by having ugly tail lights.

I had one of mine fogging up, and it was super simple to pull the tail light, put tape on either side of the plastic seam, smear on silicon, pull off the tape, and let it dry and reinstall. Problem completely solved forever. Better than getting a new tail light from Tesla because it won't ever fog again.

Wow. It's so easy to DIY fix these tail lights, I just can't understand why you are torturing yourself by having ugly tail lights.

I had one of mine fogging up, and it was super simple to pull the tail light, put tape on either side of the plastic seam, smear on silicon, pull off the tape, and let it dry and reinstall. Problem completely solved forever. Better than getting a new tail light from Tesla because it won't ever fog again.
If you could post some photos of what you did, that would be very helpful.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
If you could post some photos of what you did, that would be very helpful.

Plenty of videos on youtube showing how to remove the tail light, so no need for me to rehash that. Here’s what you want to achieve with the silicon. Black silicon would be better, but I had clear on hand and since you don’t see any of this work when the trunk is closed, I couldn’t be bothered to go to the store for black.

F33DAE9E-BA07-473A-BBC7-BEAECC1121AF.jpeg

Reactions: MarsOrBust
You can start by using silicon on the portion of the plastic seam that is accessible without removing the tail light, and if that doesn’t solve it, you can then remove the tail light to get the other side that isn’t exposed while installed.

No need to do the bottom of the light, only the top and sides.

I like the DIY initiative here and I’ll probably have to do the same, but there is a fundamental principle here. Tesla know this is a problem and refuse to fix it, trying to pass something off as ‘normal’ when it’s not.

its even more frustrating knowing that it’s an easy fix! Why doesn’t Tesla just apply this solution in manufacture!

So annoying to know I’ve bought a premium car with Kia quality! (I have lots of other issues, not just this)

thanks for sharing

I choose my battles. This one isn’t worth a fight. It’s happens on cars costing a lot more, like my Lambo.

Would be nice if it didn’t happen, but look at it like the other mods that every one does to improve the car, like the console wrap. This one is quick and uses a 20th of a tube of inexpensive silicon.

Plenty of videos on youtube showing how to remove the tail light, so no need for me to rehash that. Here’s what you want to achieve with the silicon. Black silicon would be better, but I had clear on hand and since you don’t see any of this work when the trunk is closed, I couldn’t be bothered to go to the store for black.

View attachment 507778
Thank you!

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
You can start by using silicon on the portion of the plastic seam that is accessible without removing the tail light, and if that doesn’t solve it, you can then remove the tail light to get the other side that isn’t exposed while installed.

No need to do the bottom of the light, only the top and sides.
Did you drill any drainage holes, or did just covering the top and sides solve it for you?

I like the DIY initiative here and I’ll probably have to do the same, but there is a fundamental principle here. Tesla know this is a problem and refuse to fix it, trying to pass something off as ‘normal’ when it’s not.

its even more frustrating knowing that it’s an easy fix! Why doesn’t Tesla just apply this solution in manufacture!

So annoying to know I’ve bought a premium car with Kia quality! (I have lots of other issues, not just this)

thanks for sharing
Sounds like Tesla needs to have a chat with the vendor that makes these. There's an obvious QC issue.

One of my rear lights had constant condensation and water droplets which never dried out. I decided to bite the bullet and fixed it myself after reading this thread.

As I had to dry it out before sealing it, I followed the guide to remove the light and took it indoors. I then removed 3 screws out of the back of the black plastic body of the light to provide some path for the moisture in the damp air to evaporate. I used a hairdryer to heat the clear lens before putting it an warm airing cupboard overnight to dry out. I then used a few small drops of Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (leak/crack sealer) 60ml (£7.99 from Amazon) all round the joint instead of silicon sealant. I did that a couple of times, leaving the sealer to run around the joint and then dry each time. After putting the screws back in and re-installing the light, it has been free of moisture and condensation for the past month of winter rain here in the UK.

You can't see the Captain Tolley's sealer once it has dried and I am no good with silicon and wanted to keep the option of getting Tesla to replace the light if I couldn't fix it. I used the same stuff around the bolts in the trunk tailgate hinges to also seal those from some rain water that was getting into the sides of the trunk.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
In very damp Seattle now (loads of Model 3s) I’ve yet to see a Model 3 here without fogging in the tail lights/fog lights. It’s kind of hilarious, actually.

agreed... Seattle myself too and haven’t yet myself either. Not so hilarious though cause I thought I was buying a “premium” vehicle. Pretty annoyed that there is no revised fix yet from Tesla.

View attachment 503063 View attachment 503064 I actually noticed this today when cleaning the front of my car. There seems to be some condensation residue INSIDE of the headlights that resulted from condensation building up and then drying inside of the housing. I was scrubbing away at it before realizing it was on the inside of the light.

Do you think this would get Tesla to replace my headlights as it is pretty unsightly and annoying now that I’ve noticed it and have no way to “clean” that internal moisture residue.
I had both my headlights replaced by Tesla this week for water droplets inside. It was my second attempt to get them to change them and luckily on the day I arrived at the service centre it was obvious there was drops of water inside. They said the headlights had faulty water seals and need replacing.
5FEA6184-28CC-4A17-97D4-DAE475B55E87.jpeg
They also carried out a ‘preventative repair to the front body harness to avoid moisture ingress into connectors’. Schedule a service and include lots of photos, hopefully they’ll replace yours.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
I had both my headlights replaced by Tesla this week for water droplets inside. It was my second attempt to get them to change them and luckily on the day I arrived at the service centre it was obvious there was drops of water inside. They said the headlights had faulty water seals and need replacing.View attachment 509000 They also carried out a ‘preventative repair to the front body harness to avoid moisture ingress into connectors’. Schedule a service and include lots of photos, hopefully they’ll replace yours.

From what I understand and have seen, headlights with water/fogging is not common/normal. The other lights are free love.

Did you drill any drainage holes, or did just covering the top and sides solve it for you?

No, I didn't drill holes in this tail light. I have done that in other tail lights that have had more ingress to give the water a way out, but in this case, I caught it early when it was just fogging up slightly. It was not enough water for Tesla to warranty it, but enough to look ugly.

• Informative
Reactions: AdamMacDon
Tesla mobile tech came to my office yesterday and replaced my passenger taillight under warranty because of internal moisture. No questions asked. Was actually an amazing service experience.

View attachment 509218

Yeah that's majorly unacceptable. Fogging and small condensation bubbles are one thing (still crap), but that's out of control. How's the replacement going? Any fogging of any sort? Be nice if we could get any conformation of any sort of a part-number update that would indicate Tesla has solved this issue.