Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water in your trunk lid? Try this!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a great video, actually.

So, the white light spot at the end was a hole with no sealant? Could you stick a pin in it?

Are you going to put some sealant in there as a permanent fix?
Thanks!

Yes. Didn't use a pin; gap is pretty obvious in person.

Yes. SeamWeld Syringe

Light shown in the video...
IMG_6912.jpg

...and the other side.
IMG_6917.jpg

Reactions: Skavatar and TimTam
Yes, but at this point I’m not planning on bringing it to a body shop; not worth my time. I’ll have to go for an estimate, wait for Tesla to approve the estimate, drop off the car to have it worked on, then go pick it up. Each back and forth is about an hour drive time, so I’ll be spending 3 hours going back and forth. Seam sealer is <$20 and probably similar to what the body shop will do.

Yes, but at this point I’m not planning on bringing it to a body shop; not worth my time. I’ll have to go for an estimate, wait for Tesla to approve the estimate, drop off the car to have it worked on, then go pick it up. Each back and forth is about an hour drive time, so I’ll be spending 3 hours going back and forth. Seam sealer is <$20 and probably similar to what the body shop will do.

Will you be educating Tesla about the issue, so next time they don't send people to the bodyshop about this?

I didn't actually notice you said actually until you mentioned it. haha.

But that explains why water drips down into the trunk. But how does it get inside the trunk lid in the first place? Or maybe I need to re-watch the video again.
Checkout post #3 in this thread. There is a gap of sealant that allowed water to pass. In the video, it shows as a white light passing through a seam. Yellow light is passing through sealant.