Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water sloshing around - After heavy rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 MSP, rained heavily yesterday while the car was outside. Went to drive today and I could hear what sounds like gallons of water "under" the passenger side. When I brake then accelerate it will audibly slosh back and forth. Nothing comes out though.

Interior is not wet. It is not in the passenger door either, sounds like it is below that.

I have a service req in, but has anyone heard of this issue on an MS? Old 2013 MS never had this issue. Assuming there is a drain somewhere down there that isn't letting the water out, but I don't see anything and the only drain I can find in the service manual is for the HVAC, which isn't what I am talking about.

You didn’t mention this, and I doubt this is the issue based on your description, but did you check the front trunk? When you open the doors, can you hear water sloshing? From what I know of the design, the only thing under the passenger floor is the battery… which has coolant flowing through it, but sans a major failure, I would not expect you to be able to hear it. I got caught in a major rain in my 2023 MSP yesterday and no sloshing water anywhere.

Joe

You didn’t mention this, and I doubt this is the issue based on your description, but did you check the front trunk? When you open the doors, can you hear water sloshing? From what I know of the design, the only thing under the passenger floor is the battery… which has coolant flowing through it, but sans a major failure, I would not expect you to be able to hear it. I got caught in a major rain in my 2023 MSP yesterday and no sloshing water anywhere.

Joe
I dd check, no water I can see. Maybe under the tray, but I don't see anything obvious, dry in there.

Service couldn’t solve it and now they have it at the Body Shop to figure out the water retention issue. They don’t know what the cause of the issue is.

Wish me luck it’s easy/simple, but it’s not a drain line or something like that. Otherwise I may need to seek a lawyer if Tesla doesn’t want to make getting a different plaid easy. Lemon law here is 3 attempts or 30 days (but total for any cause).

Yes I’m sick to my stomach over this. Not even 30 days.

My 2015 S has done something like this for years. After being parked in heavy rain, there is a slosh the first time I go round a corner, but then it stops. Sounds like water sitting on the battery and then being thrown off? My car is often parked with the rear lower than the front, which I think maybe a factor.

Let's just say this, it's a plaid. There is no way the water wouldn't have been thrown off from some of my driving.

The water doesn't leave and just sloshes around in whatever area it is trapped in. That could be above the battery, but I would think that the service center would have dropped the battery to check. Thats not a long process before transferring to the body shop.

Reactions: Arctic_White
I don’t know how is the glass roof attached on Plaid but I start to hear this similar slush water running on mine, 2016 with sunroof, if the roof side rails drain tubes will clog up. It will clear up after the cleaning, but it’s very straightforward to pinpoint the source of the sound.

There are no drains to get to that location as per the documentation, and the sound is more specifically on the passenger side around the foot/door area.

At this point Tesla has had my car for over 8 days with 9 days out of service since purchase and I have no update from them on the cause or resolution. I asked, they contacted me and left a voicemail which obviously was not researched as they misquoted the history and current location of the vehicle.

No updates on schedule today. That makes 10 days out of service since purchase. I was contacted by Tesla this morning, but they state they have a "body shop" evaluating who does not want to say anything at this point due to worry about quality of service/repair. While I appreciate the idea, this is not a real answer and shows that they have not prioritized the repair or are oversubscribed on their service.

As an investor and long time supporter of Tesla I have questions. If any other investors want to band together to force the questions through during our investor days, please contact me. If I am experiencing this, others are and this is completely incomprehensible in terms of company success.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Two things, car is still at the body shop. Tesla has agreed to buy back the car, it has gone over my states limits on out of service time.

Body shop says they have a solution and will have it done soon. I have not been provided with details, but they won't complete the buyback until after the car is finished. My lawyer states their desire to wait for the car to be complete is not required, so I may still have to file with the state. We shall see soon.

tala pilot: Possible, but there should be no water in the sills and if you have that, it needs to be in to service to stop future damage from occurring.

• Informative
Two things, car is still at the body shop. Tesla has agreed to buy back the car, it has gone over my states limits on out of service time.

Body shop says they have a solution and will have it done soon. I have not been provided with details, but they won't complete the buyback until after the car is finished. My lawyer states their desire to wait for the car to be complete is not required, so I may still have to file with the state. We shall see soon.

tala pilot: Possible, but there should be no water in the sills and if you have that, it needs to be in to service to stop future damage from occurring.
SC replaced a door seal.

We’ll see if it helps…but I sort of doubt it will.

I pushed a few more times, they agreed I could come in shortly to sign buyback paperwork. When asked about payment, they stated a longer statement, but it would be equivalent to "in the mail".

I have pushed back and stated that they wouldn't sell me a car without immediate payment, why would I accept a promise from them after the number of things which havent gone right so far. A court ordered payment and date is one thing, but a future promise without legal backing is not acceptable to me.

They are "researching".

I have asked for confirmation in writing, but to date they have avoided including all details of their promises and targets in writing. So I take copious dated notes and provide them back to Tesla asking for confirmation immediately. I recommend writing down notes and or recording conversations (where legal, please make sure you understand your local laws FIRST and dont take this as legal advice) for everyone here.

• Informative
Picked up my 2023 MSP (Nov Build) on Christmas Eve. Noticed a sloshing sound on the way home from Tesla. Found a thread about filling wiper fluid. Day after Christmas we bought fluid and filled it up. (Last night) Still hearing the sound. It’s not just a little water. I only hear it upon acceleration and breaking at lower speeds. I’ve had it 3 days now and only driven it 2. Have a service call in but that’s a week away. This thread is terrifying me. I don’t want to be without my car for weeks! Any hope for me that it’s an easy fix? I just don’t feel like a car I paid 96k for should slosh water.