Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 M-Y Hatch water Ingress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone!

I have a 2023 Model Y. I purchased my car earlier this year and have had the car serviced 3 times for water ingress issues. Just drove through a heavy rain yesterday and have water ingress in the footwells. Anyone else experiencing this? SS is not getting this right. Last service they adjusted the hatch and added sealant to a bunch of areas. Any tips would be very helpful. I did see a thread on twitter stating this was an issue with a ton of Model Ys.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    927.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    701.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    798.8 KB · Views: 178
Boy that sucks. Glad to see tesla addressed this issue. Lots of people have this issue Still sucks
Honestly, my car has never been in the rain and it’s probably only been washed 30 times maybe. I haven'tgood had any issues but it gets washed in my drive.

maybe search leak in trunk/hatch.

good luck

This is usually a case of missing seam sealant in the rear hatch from the factory. The panels must be taken off in order to inspect. If you are still getting water, means SS likely missed some areas. Good luck.

Hey Everyone!

I have a 2023 Model Y. I purchased my car earlier this year and have had the car serviced 3 times for water ingress issues. Just drove through a heavy rain yesterday and have water ingress in the footwells. Anyone else experiencing this? SS is not getting this right. Last service they adjusted the hatch and added sealant to a bunch of areas. Any tips would be very helpful. I did see a thread on twitter stating this was an issue with a ton of Model Ys.
Did this ever get resolved? Took deliver of my 2023 MYLR two weeks ago. After the rain from this weekends east cost storm there was water leaking out of the latch of the hatch. I don't think it is the hatch seal as the service bulletin suggest as the water was coming out of the body panel when the hatch was opened. I think it is the glass sealant that is the issue. It was not driving it during the rain and it was just setting in the driveway. I have a service appointment October 2nd and I will see what they say.

Attachments

• PXL_20230924_145125825.jpg
    PXL_20230924_145125825.jpg
    630 KB · Views: 109
  • PXL_20230924_145128230.jpg
    PXL_20230924_145128230.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 140
  • PXL_20230924_145131905.jpg
    PXL_20230924_145131905.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 134
Thanks for your response @arctec1 !
Would you mind sharing what they did that finally fixed the issue? What did they tell you, and what does the paperwork say?
The Tesla description of work is vague see below...
Concern: Customer states: Other · Interior - Water in the rear hatch after rain. When rear hatch was opened water ran out of latch and body panel plug of rear hatch. There was a pool of water past the rear seal.

The technician tested for the presence of a water leak to verify the customers concern - He was able to find a water leak in the rear hatch of the vehicle and applied body sealant to the effected surfaces- He than confirmed the water leak to no longer be present after repairs

Reactions: flixden
I dropped my car off 8:00am Friday morning and they had it all day. I thought I'd be there for an hr or 2 so I brought my computer bag but they sent me home in a loaner and said they'd message when they have info.

At about 4pm I got the service notice that the car was done and ready for pickup. Invoice only says:

Repair notes: Inspected and found water droplet marks. Sealed liftgate and tested no water present.
Correction: Test to confirm water Ingress no longer present
Correction: Clean up water ingress
Correction: Diagnosis: Water Ingress / leak interior
Correction: Reseal liftgate assembly to prevent water ingress
Pay type: basic vehicle limited warranty

I also had another small issue with the hatch that I reported and they worked on at the same time, so not sure if that caused the extended repair time. But when I picked up they said they spent a lot of time soaking the car to find the leak, then again after repair was completed to test.

Problem #2 was the common creaking when opening / closing hatch.
Repair Notes: Inspected and tested and found liftgate welds too close together making noise when opening and closing. Adjusted and resealed lifgate and confirmed no noise present.

I can say with certainty they sealed something. I got back to the car and the odour from the sealant was strong enough that I drove home with the windows down. At home I garage parked it with windows down for 2 days to air it out. It's getting much better, though there is a faint smell still if parked for hrs with windows up.

I haven't been able to confirm the leak repair myself yet. Mine was only obvious during medium to heavy rainfall and after a good soaking. I'm hoping we get some rain the next couple of days to check on it.

These 2 hatch issues will make it a total of 3 serviceable issues since new. So far I've been very pleased with my service center and the service experience overall.

I had this issue as well, we live in Vancouver BC Canada. The 4th Ave service department kept my MY-LR for 5 business days, but when I got the car back last fall, never had the issue since. So it's fixed. I appeared to be a silicone style fix behind panels, due to some silicone marks I had to remove around the plastics. I've heard they may even have to reset the back window, or adjust the stop limits and/or adjust the hatch. I dunno, but it worked, whatever they did - so it is a resolvable problem. Shouldn't take 3 trips in... Good luck with the repair!

Well, I have an update now: drove in the rain today for about 90 mins. Pulled into my garage. Slowly approched rear hatch. Waited. Didn't dare ... But then I gave myself a push and opened it .... NOT a drop of 💦!!!
So they fixed it in the third attempt, seems to be common.
Thanks to the Tesla SC, I am back to being a happy camper! 🙂👍🏻

Reactions: BC-LR
Four points of ingress for me: drip holes at the top edges of the tailgate- they’re supposed to be sealed from factory. The replacement tailgate we received after collision did not have them pinched and sealed. The other area is below the taillamps assemblies - but water only gets in when pressure washing (shooting up)

I sealed the top corners, haven’t bothered with the tail lamp so just being mindful during car washes.

Four points of ingress for me: drip holes at the top edges of the tailgate- they’re supposed to be sealed from factory. The replacement tailgate we received after collision did not have them pinched and sealed. The other area is below the taillamps assemblies - but water only gets in when pressure washing (shooting up)

I sealed the top corners, haven’t bothered with the tail lamp so just being mindful during car washes.
Hey Poker! Would you mind taking a pic or two, and marking the points you are referring to? Would be much appreciated!

Yes popped everything off for inspection, Not difficult. But I think you won’t need to remove just to get to those corners. You’ll quickly see it. If there is a pin hole at the corner then you need to dab silicone. If it’s flat then you’re good.