Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WattWater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Community,

I will cut to the chase. I am a high-performance single-engine outboard motor boat enthusiast, living on a lake in the center of the brain trust for all things outboard drag racing-- East Tennessee.

In 2014, I acted upon a dream. I picked up a 1998 Allison XR-2001 Drag boat for the sole purpose of its marriage to a Tesla conversion. I have owned and raced this model previously, of course with IC engines, beginning in 2008 and have had 3 of them at different times. The standard setup on these boats is to use a Mercury 2.5 liter, 2-stroke powerhead developing between 260 and 350 horsepower, winding out at 9,500-10,000 rpm in the now-standard ODBA course length of 800 feet at between 90 and 110mph from a 5mph start.

After test driving several Tesla vehicles, most recently the P90 in 2016, as a degreed electronic engineer I knew the implications of utilizing a Tesla drivetrain in place of the internal combustion 2-stroke in single-engine outboard drag boats; eliminating a great deal of weight (the Merc 2.5 liter powerhead alone weighs in at about 250 lbs), let alone the massive HP and torque available at virtually any rpm.

I live at ground zero for all things performance outboard: On the water's edge of a lake in Eastern Tennessee, having moved here in 2013 from the SF Bay Area which is where I am originally from. I have a private boat launch ramp, 2-slip floating dock, fully equipped shop, and liaisons with many experienced mechanics, suppliers, machinists, and winning drivers. My current stable of boats consists of four Allisons (different models), and these were built right down the road from me in Louisville, TN (allisonboats.com). I have a great relationship with Darris Allison as well.

Seeking an associate or partner with experienced technical knowledge and the parts to complete this aspiration. I have approached Tesla directly, but the reaction has always simply been silence. I think they have their hands full with many other projects.

Think of it: Jaws drop as the world's first electric, noiseless drag boat except for the propeller in the water, blows away all eardrum-splitting, blue-smoke-belching competitors in the National Championship Unlimited Class at the ODBA (Outboard Drag Boat Association) races in Jasper, TN (incidentally, the 2018 races are October 13-14 this year, so we would aim for 2019).

Beyond the simple exhibition value, I have a business model that could be acted upon based on the success of this project, which is sort of a "concept car" for what I have in mind.

The EPA banned the manufacture of 2-stroke EFI V6 motors in 2005. Some of you may see where I'm going with this.

For my part, I will contribute: The boat, fully rigged, any conversion adaptors required to mate the electric motor to a standard Mercury Marine 2.5 liter SS midsection and lower unit (gear case), boat setup resources of one of the world's most experienced and qualified builders, a driver with a consistent winning track record (I'M not gonna drive this monster, lol), a fabricator for custom pieces required, and all labor.

I am looking for someone experienced with the Tesla motors, controllers, and operating parameters who would likewise supply the motor and its controller at minimum, and assist with the calculations required (I have the appropriate equations and have a high-level of confidence that this plan is feasible).

4 years out, I remain more excited than ever, and only worry about someone else doing this first.

I'm attaching photos of the boat, a proven winning model at the ODBA races. This one weighs in at 595 lbs less motor.

Is anyone interested? I'll bet SOMEONE has the vision to see where I might be going with this...and the business plan to follow...which is not confined to race boats.

Thank you for your consideration and/or advice. -Lou

IMG_9051.jpg
IMG_9005.jpg
IMG_8826.jpg
IMG_8822.jpg