Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is an off the wall question but many cities have Mounted Horse Patrols. I saw an article of a Cop on a Horse pulling a car over and another one directing traffic so had to ask.

There are definitely a lot of these sort of edge cases. It's why "solving FSD" is so hard and is taking so long. There are A LOT of problems to solve. But yes, autonomous cars will be able to handle cops on a horse. The car can detect the cop on the horse thanks to its many cameras, radar and lidar. It's a matter of training the car what to do. Waymo has already programmed their cars to recognize many hand gestures and can respond to cops directing traffic.

My commentary. I don't do corporate PR for Waymo.
Then, I should tell you there are umpteen examples of Tesla handling blinding Sun if you look on YouTube. I can find examples from my recordings too and probably you have experienced too.

What FSD does have a problem is seeing the lines on the wet roads when the Sun is shining in the road at a steep angle.

If Waymo ever lets people without NDA film their drives in SF, now that they have braved it out of a desert, we may be able to find similar situations ….

Perhaps but I have personally experienced FSD Beta not handling blinding sun.
That is not the same as FSD handling the Sun. Both can happen … I bet Waymo won’t put out cases where the car doesn’t handle properly.

Ps : Yesterday had a perfect 10 mile round trip with one disengagement for multi-lane roundabout (that I always disengage). Doesn’t mean it handles that drive equally well every time.

If you didn't disengage would the Tesla handle the situation at the last second
It’s more a etiquette question than safety. Tesla will finally navigate the roundabout and take the right road. But very hesitantly and haltingly, which I don’t want to wait for because of traffic.

BTW, when I say the trip was good except for that one disengagement … I mean it drive just like a human would. I doubt anyone on the road noticed anything weird.

I’ve also had 4 or 5 disengagements on that round trip. So if I wanted to putout a good video for marketing I can … but won’t be the truth.

I wonder whether they will answer if you ask what is the biggest hurdle in expanding to other cities fast.

Waymo has been asked that question by the media many times. And Waymo has given us their PR response to that question: "We are excited to bring the Waymo Driver to more cities. We are building the most experienced driver and will expand to other cities according to our safety plan."

I think Waymo is taking a "solve first then scale" approach. Waymo wants to solve more edge cases before they scale. I think their reply about looking to predict actions of other road users in dense urban driving supports that. They see difficult cases of complex actions by road users in dense urban driving as an area that they need to improve before they can scale.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Possibly. I’ve never seen high speed ULT in Waymo.

Taking this to the Waymo thread so we don't clutter the FSD Beta video thread with Waymo talk.

Waymo does not do full trip videos of their internal testing with safety drivers. So if Waymo does a ULT during their internal testing, we won't see it. The only videos we get are when the public gets to ride and they decide to video the ride. So unless the Waymo does a ULT during a public ride that the rider happens to catch on video, we won't see it. That's just how Waymo does things. They do their testing internally and when the autonomous driving is good enough, then they let the public ride and make videos.

Personally, I wish Waymo would release videos of say 1 hour of autonomous driving, like Cruise has done, to show off some maneuvers. It would be great to see more videos of ULTs and other maneuvers. I feel like Waymo should show off more what the Waymo Driver can do, beyond the little clips they release.

Last edited:
Reactions: EVNow
On Twitter, I asked Waymo how long it will take to map the area in NYC. They did not give me a specific answer but they did share some interesting tidbits on what they are working on in NYC:

Interesting "understanding traffic and road features"... Call it semantics, but
1. traffic and features are situational, local... and can vary
2. understand = reactive at best, not anticipate