Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waymo announced that due to the fast growth of their team this year, they are adding 170,000 sq ft to their HQ in Mountain View. The new space will be a unified campus that includes outdoor work spaces, cafeteria, fitness center, volleyball court and more:

"Thanks to these advances, we can now incinerate cash 28% more rapidly" added a company spokesperson :)

Meanwhile, Tesla collected another 3.5m (est) in cold, hard cash today from rich FSD donors without lifting a finger or hiring anyone. And will collect another 3.5m tomorrow, and the next day....

• Funny
Reactions: enemji and EVNow
"Thanks to these advances, we can now incinerate cash 28% more rapidly" added a company spokesperson :)

You got to spend money to make money. Waymo is spending money to "solve FSD" faster. When they do, they will be able to make money hand over fist.

Tesla was in a deficit for years before they became profitable. They spent billions to build new factories. Waymo is simply investing in their workforce since their workforce is growing so quickly. People need places to work effectively as well as places to eat and play on their time off to keep morale high. It helps keep productivity high.

Meanwhile, Tesla collected another 3.5m (est) in cold, hard cash today from rich FSD donors without lifting a finger or hiring anyone. And will collect another 3.5m tomorrow, and the next day....

It's easy to just take money from people without actually solving FSD. ;)

Last edited:
Interesting when companies are thinking of giving up space because most people WFH.

Yeah, it is interesting. Some jobs like machine learning engineers can probably do a lot of work from home since they basically just need a computer. Obviously, other jobs like safety drivers can't work from home. We know Waymo wants to expand testing so they probably need more safety drivers. So it is possible that a lot of the new jobs are jobs that can't be done from home.

It is also interesting to me that the new Waymo campus will feature amenities like a basketball and volleyball court. Maybe Waymo is betting that providing such amenities will entice workers not to work from home? And, there are some jobs where work from home is great but for many jobs, in-person is still better. I know when I worked from home during the covid lockdown, I was able to basically get stuff done, but it was not the same as coming into the office. Being in the office was just better in many ways. For Waymo, I could see working from home not being ideal. For example, having engineers physically together, working on the hardware in-person, taking the cars out for a test, collaborating in-person, etc... is just better. AV companies like Waymo really benefit from lots of real world testing which you can't do working from home. So, Waymo may be thinking that in-person work is better and therefore it is to their advantage to create a campus with a good work environment that will encourage in-person work.

Reactions: BrerBear
For Waymo, I could see working from home not being ideal. For example, having engineers physically together, working on the hardware in-person, taking the cars out for a test, collaborating in-person, etc... is just better. So, Waymo may be thinking that in-person work is better and therefore it is to their advantage to create a campus with a good work environment that will encourage in-person work.
Yes - still it is interesting. Definitely they won't go back to 100% in-person work ....

Anyway, it looks like they are unifying multiple office spaces. They may not be expanding space per se .... they will give up some other office space.

I think Tesla is fully in-person.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
For reference, Waymo launched the trusted tester program in SF in August and announced that they were starting driverless rides in SF in March of the following year. So it took about 7 months to go from the start of the trusted tester program to the first driverless rides. 7 months from now would be Dec 10. So, if they keep to that same timeline, it is possible that they could do the first driverless rides in downtown Phoenix by the end of this year. It will be interesting to see how long it takes Waymo to go from trusted tester program to driverless in downtown Phoenix. Another data point to measure their progress towards scalability.

@Bladerskb how long do you think it will take Waymo to go from trusted tester program to driverless in downtown Phoenix?

JJ Ricks is filling out the application to join the Trusted Tester Program for downtown Phoenix. Here is part of the application that asks you what types of trips you would take if you were in the program.

FSaVD2xWUAEFL-5

For reference, Waymo launched the trusted tester program in SF in August and announced that they were starting driverless rides in SF in March of the following year. So it took about 7 months to go from the start of the trusted tester program to the first driverless rides. 7 months from now would be Dec 10. So, if they keep to that same timeline, it is possible that they could do the first driverless rides in downtown Phoenix by the end of this year. It will be interesting to see how long it takes Waymo to go from trusted tester program to driverless in downtown Phoenix. Another data point to measure their progress towards scalability.

@Bladerskb how long do you think it will take Waymo to go from trusted tester program to driverless in downtown Phoenix?
Their timeline is getting shorter and shorter with each major announcement of an expansion of the service area. I think the trend will continue but they won't fully scale until the next 2 or so generations of hardware advancement and cost reduction.

Reactions: diplomat33
Their timeline is getting shorter and shorter with each major announcement of an expansion of the service area. I think the trend will continue but they won't fully scale until the next 2 or so generations of hardware advancement and cost reduction.

That makes sense. I think I mentioned this to you in our private conversation. I think the software part is very good now. Of course, Waymo will continue to solve edge cases and improve the Planning. But I agree that Waymo will likely want to further miniaturize the hardware and reduce the cost of the hardware before true mass scaling. I am curious what the final production version of the Zeekr robotaxi will look like. The concept art seems to suggest the hardware will be smaller and slimmer. I don't think the hardware needs a lot more generations. Waymo may not even call it the 6th Gen. It may still be the 5th Gen, just in a smaller package.

It seems like Waymo is treating the Downtown area as a separate area. Can you take a Waymo from Chandler to Downtown? I thought Waymo was past the trusted rider program and anyone could call for a ride.

We don't know if the two areas will be connected. If they are connected, then you would be able to go from Chandler to downtown.

In Chandler, anyone can call a ride. In downtown Phoenix since Waymo is testing in that new area, they are doing a trusted tester program for that new area.