Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weaker regenerative braking with 2019.36.2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Humm maybe, but I'm not convinced. My tests were all made at about -10 celcius outside temps just after exiting a heated garage (heated at 5 celcius). You can experience the difference live while driving, you just have to find an opportunity to quickly put the car in Park to change the mode from Hold to Roll and vice-versa. Drive a bit in between changing the settings. On my M3 RWD SR+ the difference is very noticeable. IMHO battery pack temps alone cannot explain this.

What’s this about hold and roll modes? Hold blends in the brakes as the car comes to a stop, while roll down not. How is comparing the two modes indicative of regeneration performance?

What’s this about hold and roll modes? Hold blends in the brakes as the car comes to a stop, while roll down not. How is comparing the two modes indicative of regeneration performance?

I see a difference in the regen experienced while driving at higher speeds (higher than 70 km/h). I do not know why these two modes should have any effect on regen at higher speeds, but that's what I see.

I see a difference in the regen experienced while driving at higher speeds (higher than 70 km/h). I do not know why these two modes should have any effect on regen at higher speeds, but that's what I see.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. I came here tonight to look for others who have experienced this same issue since using the Hold Mode... much less Regen at speeds between > 30mph... I'm having to apply the brakes much more at these speeds than before. Makes me want to turn Hold off. (And this is at different temps... I live in Northern VA... yes, it's colder, but I've had my MR RWD for about 1 year, so I know how cold affects the car... this is more significant than just cold weather.) I hope an upgrade sets the Regen back to where it normally operates without Hold mode, since I do like Hold mode from 30mph down to 0.

• Informative
Reactions: Valtor
It can't be my imagination, but since I enabled the new regen mode that just came out, set it all the way down to stop my X likes to coast alot more. FYI I still have the standart regen set. Anyone else? I'm using more brake pedal now than before.
Yes I have noticed it in Performance model 3 and I wish they had a setting to go back to the higher regen braking. Also I feel the acceleration has decreased in 0-60 a little bit

I have the 36.2.1 update on an X P100D. regen is weaker across the board, even factoring in the cold. ~50,000 miles on my odometer, so I'm used to the temp regen limits.

Interestingly, my vehicle is missing the new regen hold mode. The service center said they have no documentation what the reasoning is. (They did confirm it's not user error )

Reactions: vandacca
The regen to stop and hold is available only for X's that have the permanent magnet front motors that came with the "Raven" models. Your description as a P100D indicates yours is not a PM motor since they are all badged with Dual Motor with an underline for the performance models.

Yes, that is probably correct, although single pedal driving on older motors can be done, autopilot does it already. I wonder if they will ever spend time on it. Tesla’s cost cutting has driven focus on features for only the newest models these days. As far as weaker regen update, I have noticed smart preconditioning disappeared. In cold weather, that feature used to help warm up battery/regen, not just in the morning, but when going to lunch and leaving work in winter. Smart precondition needed algorithm improvement, but not removal. There used to be a net positive kw/m improvement from warming the battery so regen would work better while driving.
My legacy 2016 model received scheduled departure charging. So I set it for 7am, and it finished at 5:30am. My guess is that they calculate for 48amp onboard chargers. Forgetting that older cars had faster 72 and 80 amp charger options. Newer isn’t always better and faster in this case.

For new owners reference, Tesla Model S , used to charge over 65 miles of range per hour with dual charger option. The X was at 45 per hour. New “improved” models are limited to 34 and 30 respectively. The 3 gets 30.

The lack of mass complaints, leads me to believe model 3 owners could care less about slower charging, 7kw. I used to believe Elon when he said power wall was going to enable home DC fast charging, but I stopped holding my breath. I’m still waiting on that feature, before I purchase one. The dual charger 19.6kw was a huge timesaver at destination chargers, hotels, malls, etc. to be fair, at home, it only helps people with TOU plans and those with more than 1 vehicle.

I checked and Tesla’s site removed all references to dual chargers and their charging speeds. It never happened, Tesla’s always get better with time, wink, nod.

For new owners reference, Tesla Model S , used to charge over 65 miles of range per hour with dual charger option. The X was at 45 per hour. New “improved” models are limited to 34 and 30 respectively. The 3 gets 30.

The lack of mass complaints, leads me to believe model 3 owners could care less about slower charging, 7kw. I used to believe Elon when he said power wall was going to enable home DC fast charging, but I stopped holding my breath. I’m still waiting on that feature, before I purchase one. The dual charger 19.6kw was a huge timesaver at destination chargers, hotels, malls, etc. to be fair, at home, it only helps people with TOU plans and those with more than 1 vehicle.

I checked and Tesla’s site removed all references to dual chargers and their charging speeds. It never happened, Tesla’s always get better with time, wink, nod.

Either they don't know better, or the ones who do complain are quickly admonished by the Tesla hivemind or buried under the usual gish gallop that you get around here that's led my lengthy ignore list.

Had my 48A downgraded Model S for ~6 months now, and I still think it sucks.

Tesla should return to their previous 80A capability, and with an upgrade in inverter technology to bump the charging efficiency from ~90% to 99%.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I came here tonight to look for others who have experienced this same issue since using the Hold Mode... much less Regen at speeds between > 30mph... I'm having to apply the brakes much more at these speeds than before. Makes me want to turn Hold off. (And this is at different temps... I live in Northern VA... yes, it's colder, but I've had my MR RWD for about 1 year, so I know how cold affects the car... this is more significant than just cold weather.) I hope an upgrade sets the Regen back to where it normally operates without Hold mode, since I do like Hold mode from 30mph down to 0.

FYI... received the 2019.36.2.3 update last week and the difference in Regen strength (during coasting over 40mph) now seems less noticeable between Roll and Hold settings at higher speeds. Might just be my imagination (as I test/flip between both). Curious if anyone else "feels" a difference on this new version.

scheduled departure on 36.2.1. From the release notes. "Once your specified time is set, the car will schedule charging to complete before peak electricity rates begin (6AM) to reduce energy costs and ensure consistent regenerative braking and performance."

After using this feature for more than a week, I have found that it doesn't work as expected. Tesla continues to consume electricity after the set time, when peak rates take effect. While it specifically says it will only be done charging, it implies everything is supposed to be complete before the higher peak rate electricity. The pre-conditioning continues to run from grid power during peak rates. This may or may not be desirable for you. I know Chevy volt owners like it this way, due to battery range.

- I let the car sit plugged in 2 hours after peak rate time setting, and it continues to consume electric for pre-conditioning. (used to use the cheaper electrons in the battery for pre-conditioning with the older scheduled charge feature). Oh, and it doesn't know about holidays, just weekday/weekend.

- when plugged into a 110v mobile connector, there is no way to have it start after peak rates the day before (11pm starts off-peak). Charging also continued past peak rate time setting(7am) in the morning. So this feature is completely ineffective on 110v. (there should be a displayed warning on the MCU when using a slow charger, or trickle charge only during off peak mode for long term storage.) This charging graph below is with the time feature enabled in the vehicle, confirming it does nothing.
110v-departure time set.jpeg

I am switching back to the old scheduled charging method, since this new method costs more money, than the old feature. Anyone know if this is desired behavior, or something fixed in a future update?

Now with software version 2019.36.2.4 my regen is back to normal (winter normal) even with the Hakka 9 Studded. Very happy about this.
I think you are right... I noticed an improvement with 36.2.3, and now with 36.2.4 for a week testing, I think Tesla fixed the "Hold" mode weaker regen issue... seems back to normal (agreed winter normal) to me also... I'm staying with Hold mode enabled. Just FYI - I have M3 Mid-Range 1 year old as of yesterday.

Reactions: Valtor