Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Web browser showing WebRTC video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could probably get audio by connecting your phone to the conference call via an audio only connection and piping that through the car speakers via bluetooth.

Yes, that works. One can participate in an in-car, in motion video conference watching the video on the car screen with WebRTC call, and calling the same meeting with phone and using Bluetooth to play audio through the car sound system.
You have bi-directional audio, and view-only video+content on the screen, but no way to use the Tesla in-car camera to send your video to others.
Would be nice if Tesla allowed WebRTC to access and use the in-car camera in Model 3s.

If Tesla gets itchy to disable this, I hope (maybe) they could leave it as a feature that works as long as autopilot is operating, or (at a minimum) still allow it when the car is not moving.

Accessing the browser is something very few owners do, and Tesla is not in high risk when they exposed this feature. The browser doesn't take up much screen space, unlike the model S.
I was trying to find a way to use WebRTC to stream a video file, and it's not a simple application that exists today. Yes you can use a virtual camera through a video conference, but there is no youtube like service out there.

So THIS is the hill you choose to die on fighting for your safety? What about alcohol? Mobile phones? Navigation systems? Make-up? Newspapers? Road signs? Billboards?
Lets turn that around. Why are you not fighting to legalize drunk driving ? Taking a nap when AP is engaged ?

In any case, your original rant was not relative danger, it was libertarian poppycock.

Lets turn that around. Why are you not fighting to legalize drunk driving ? Taking a nap when AP is engaged ?

In any case, your original rant was not relative danger, it was libertarian poppycock.
Why do I have to be "fighting" for anything? Why do I have to be a Libertarian to have a point of view on a topic? Are you so simple that that's the only way your mind can process interactions with other humans is to label them to be able to place them in a box so you know everything about them automatically? Keep this conversation to the topic at hand and stop with the personal attacks and assumptions because it's an immature look.

The same thing can be said for the browser but that's live while in motion. There's passengers in the car too who can interact with the infotainment unit so video display would fall into the same category.
There are laws in some states that make it illegal to have a "video screen" that is visible to the driver. Generally these laws have exemptions for things like GPS and car controls. Some states actually specify "television screen." In Colorado, it's technically illegal for the driver to be able to see the browser while the vehicle is in motion (it specifically calls out internet browsing, social media, and email).

Video Screens - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

I am currently working on an application that embeds Chromium (so very similar to what Tesla has done). I'd be willing to bet that they have intentionally disabled the majority of codecs that enable video to be displayed, and they just overlooked WebRTC.

Nice attempt to distract from your insistence of making a basic conversation about a web browser personal.
Have you forgotten that you started off this exchange by writing "How 'bout we just be adults and decide what is safe and what isn't w/o some corporation protecting the stupid among us from themselves? I don't need some nanny car manufacturer to tell me how to live me life and stripping my car of functionality to help keep idiots alive."

Next time, stick to the browser

Have you forgotten that you started off this exchange by writing "How 'bout we just be adults and decide what is safe and what isn't w/o some corporation protecting the stupid among us from themselves? I don't need some nanny car manufacturer to tell me how to live me life and stripping my car of functionality to help keep idiots alive."

Next time, stick to the browser
Nice try.

DetectRTC | Is WebRTC Supported In Your Browser?

detect1.png

detect2.png

detect3.png

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8
Inception moment... Shared the camera app from my phone so that the phone camera preview window was capturing video of the car screen and sending it back to the car through WebRTC call...

incept.png

Yo Dawg! I heard you like video, so I put a video in your video so you could watch a video of your video!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: GolanB
Only cool if the watcher/participant is not driving. Otherwise it's a menace

Yes, there are idiots out there that think they can watch a movie while they are on AP! Same about folks who post YouTube videos of water bottles tied to their driving wheel, or try to have AP handle a very curvy 2 lane road. My car only has AP1 and it works awesome. I keep my hands on the wheel and find it so convenient when I need to take a drink from my water bottle, or simply sneeze! Makes road trips so much more relaxing!

I think in theory we can leverage webrtc working by doing the following

1. Web RTC to stream video to the browser
2. Use Bluetooth to stream audio
You can use the link below to connect your iOS or Android camera and cast it to your Tesla web web browser

AppRTC