Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Week 1 with my 2022 SLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker if the site, first time owner. Great knowledge and info here!

So, I was lucky enough to order and get my S in one week. Blue with cream, I didn't have much choice in color as I did not want to wait and wanted to get my hands on one. Glad I did, I really like the color combo.

Wheels and caliper will be my next project (undecided between chrome, black or even bronze wheels - I keep searching for ideas).

Now I know when Tesla owners say this is "fun" to drive. It really is.

I do have a question, given all the QC issues I keep reading.

The driver front door doesn't close as smoothly as the rest of the doors. I actually often have to open and close. It seems "off" and closes with a little more force than the other doors. Any feedback on this? Is this something I should get service involved?
It doesn't interfere at all with the drive, it is a nuisance only.

Anything else I should be paying attention or look for?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

My Model S was delivered Sept 2021. By far the WORST car i have ever seen/owned/leased when it comes to fit and finish. Every panel was out of alignment (doors, trunk, hood) even interior dash trims. Some door handles was so difficult to open, even the rear arm rest did NOT open properly (Why did thye make this electronic).

It has been someone fixed by service centre but very disconcerting that they deliver cars like this to customers.

The driver front door doesn't close as smoothly as the rest of the doors. I actually often have to open and close. It seems "off" and closes with a little more force than the other doors. Any feedback on this? Is this something I should get service involved?
It doesn't interfere at all with the drive, it is a nuisance only.
I have a similar issue with my rear driver-side door. For the first few months that door won't close fully if I use the same amount of force as the other doors. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with any hinge issue, but rather with the final latching (after the first click). The latch is "too tight" for the momentum of the closing door. Maybe just 10% more forceful will do the trick. There is also no grinding sound or any other observable issue with the movement of the door. It's so minor that I didn't bother to take it to the SC. By now I'm used to just giving it a tad more to close that door.

I have a similar issue with my rear driver-side door. For the first few months that door won't close fully if I use the same amount of force as the other doors. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with any hinge issue, but rather with the final latching (after the first click). The latch is "too tight" for the momentum of the closing door. Maybe just 10% more forceful will do the trick. There is also no grinding sound or any other observable issue with the movement of the door. It's so minor that I didn't bother to take it to the SC. By now I'm used to just giving it a tad more to close that door.
So, just circling back.

After two weeks I had Tesla service come to the car. The technician tightened the door jams but said it was all in Tesla QC specs and said it should get better over time.

I can say that 3 months, the doors are fine. Occasionally the driver side (when a passenger steps in) doesn't close all the way and they need to give it an extra close to secure.

Not that annoying anymore but much better over time.