Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weight of Frunk Liner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20 pounds or so? I remember Kate of the James and Kate YouTube channel lifting it out easily for the solenoid repair she did; I can't believe it weighs more than that. Why would you remove it vs. actually using the space? Also can't believe the weight savings would be worth it...

Has anyone measured how much the frunk liner actually weighs? Considering having SC remove it for a cross country drive and trying to estimate how much more efficient we would be without it

Probably not much. This guy stripped out everything he could from his P100D for drag racing and it "only" saved 360 pounds (that includes removing all seats and replacing the front with aluminum seats):

I imagine the frunk liner is a small fraction of that weight.

20 pounds or so? I remember Kate of the James and Kate YouTube channel lifting it out easily for the solenoid repair she did; I can't believe it weighs more than that. Why would you remove it vs. actually using the space? Also can't believe the weight savings would be worth it...
There is plenty of room in the normal trunk and hatch space (only 2 of us) and since we'll be going so far just the nerd in me wants to see how efficient we can be :) I think over 5,000 miles 20lbs could make a difference

Let's see, 20 pounds is less than 0.5% of a 2 1/2 ton car. While it will make a de minimis difference in acceleration and energy used to get up to highway speeds, it's hard to imagine that it will make any measurable difference once the car is at cruising speed...which is where you'll probably be for most of your journey.

Probably more impact to adjust the cabin temperature up or down a degree and shut off the A/C when you can...or turn down the fan speed a notch...or turn the radio volume down one step...or pass up the dessert at the diner.

And, paying the SC to remove the liner and then put it back later will wipe out any savings on SC charging costs...especially if they're free to you. And don't forget all of those electrons that it will take you to make two round trips to the SC.

Have a fun trip!

Last edited:
Let's see, 20 pounds is less than 0.5% of a 2 1/2 ton car. While it will make a de minimis difference in acceleration and energy used to get up to highway speeds, it's hard to imagine that it will make any measurable difference once the car is at cruising speed...which is where you'll probably be for most of your journey.

Probably more impact to adjust the cabin temperature up or down a degree and shut off the A/C when you can...or turn down the fan speed a notch...or turn the radio volume down one step...or pass up the dessert at the diner.

And, paying the SC to remove the liner and then put it back later will wipe out any savings on SC charging costs...especially if they're free to you. And don't forget all of those electrons that it will take you to make two round trips to the SC.

Have a fun trip!
Thanks! And from what I've read the SC does it free of charge... I could be wrong on that though... now that I think about it it does seem too good to be true

Instead of trying to drop 20 pounds or less from the vehicle weight, simply drive slower and your range will increase. Use the Tesla range estimator to see the benefits down to 45 MPH. The difference between 70MPH and 60MPH is about 20% more range and increasing to about 60% more range by slowing down to 45MPH. The range increase continues all the way down to about 20MPH but the Tesla range estimator does not go that low.

Model S | Tesla UK