Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird behavior of regenerative braking at higher speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d still like to see a video of this vehicle’s behavior so we can get a better sense of what’s going on.

The problem is occurring more and more rarely, so I've not managed to get it recorded yet. The couple of times when it has re-emerged I have forgotten to record :D But to be honest, I don't really think a video would showcase anything that has not been described in this thread.

Here is a map to battery temps and regen.
Hey, do you happen to have those tables for the M3 LR (2021)?

I'm waiting for a VIN. It's our first ever EV, so zero experience with any kind of electrified vehicle. So if you're traveling in winter, and encounter a long incline, and batteries are not hot enough, you have no 'engine braking' ability? That doesn't sound good for the brakes, but want to know. Thank you.

Hey, do you happen to have those tables for the M3 LR (2021)?

I'm waiting for a VIN. It's our first ever EV, so zero experience with any kind of electrified vehicle. So if you're traveling in winter, and encounter a long incline, and batteries are not hot enough, you have no 'engine braking' ability? That doesn't sound good for the brakes, but want to know. Thank you.

“Engine braking” will be limited until the battery warms up. “Good for the brakes” is pretty vague. Yes, you may end up using the friction brakes more than you would in the summer, but they’re a consumable item and designed to be used, so I would consider it normal wear as opposed to damage. You can increase the available regeneration by warming up the battery through preheating (app) or scheduled charging (complete charging close to departure time).

Welcome and enjoy your new Tesla!

I observed this problem last week on my 2018 M3 DM. I almost got into an accident as I expected the regen braking to help. You kinda get used to the regen breaking and then you get caught off guard (regen braking almost non-existent at higher speeds) when you need it most!

I'm keeping my speeds low for now, and using extra caution :(

I observed this problem last week on my 2018 M3 DM. I almost got into an accident as I expected the regen braking to help. You kinda get used to the regen breaking and then you get caught off guard (regen braking almost non-existent at higher speeds) when you need it most!

In one incident, I couldn't brake fast enough and luckily the automatic braking saved me from rearing the car in front of me!

No need to keep your speeds low. The power meter will tell you how much regen is available and what to expect (dots on the left side mean limited regen). Also, the brake pedal always works.