Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird bumping when turning fully

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 MS P85D (with the plus suspension - 21" wheels) - When I turn the wheel (either direction) as far as it goes I get this loud knocking sound coming from the suspension areas. It happens more when I'm in reverse, but it happens moving forward as well. It almost sounds like I'm running over decent sized rocks

I asked the service center about this issue. Without seeing/experiencing it, they dismissed it as normal for my suspension/tire setup. They may be right, but they seem quick to dismiss things that would be covered under warranty. Hopefully it is normal, but it's jarring. So, I want to make sure nothing needs to be fixed. Been happening for a while.

Is this normal?
It might be hard to tell in the video, but trust me, it's not insignificant.
Imgur

I have a 2014 with Air Suspension. I get the load clunk or thud at times as well. I'm having it looked at when I take it in next month. They will probably say it's normal, but I do feel like it's something that has gotten worse over time.

If you would, let us know what they say. Im very curious.

The more I think about it, it feels like the wheels are "jumping sideways"? at every little interval. Almost like they aren't able to catch up to one another when turning that hard? Im completely guessing, but Im not sure how that constant bangning is good for anything in the suspension area.

I recall seeing a recall for power steering in previous S’s as the mounting bolts needing to be replaced as they actually rust through and let go (in salt ridden areas like mine). I doubt this is your issue but check the recalls for you car anyways at Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)

For what its worth.. I also experience it with the similar setup.

Showing 0 recalls. Sounding more and more like its normal.

Might be half shaft u joints? Regular intervals at max turn?

Got any pics of the ride?

Most of the time any clunking or weird sound is a CV joint going bad. My right hub just started squeaking on full turn. I replaced it, easy fix. My left front bottom ball joint has some play, I will change it soon. Oh I had to change right tie rod end, it had play in it.
Notice i just passed 152k miles, and i drive like a maniac. Got new motor last March. These parts are common high use parts , they will eventually wear out. Small percentage will fail early. My power steering mount bolts were changed in 2017. These cars should be silent on a perfect smooth road, and turning slowly. This is what blows folks mind, this car is silent, i mean silent. If u have a noise, u have a problem, one day u will find it.
Good luck.