TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Well that's something I haven't seen in a whie....212 miles of range:

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by The_User, Jan 21, 2013.

1. The_User

The_User Member

2009 1.5 standard Roadster - For the longest time now, seems like the best range I've seen off the batter after a charge is 196-197 miles in standard mode. The other day I had to drive it and really run the range down to the last 19 miles. I swung by my usual charging spot (Blink station) to "fill the tank". I came back 7 hours later to see 212 miles of range, wow! It's been at least year since I've seen that. 95% of the time, it's plugged into a 115VAC outlet. It's only when I suck up a good chunk of range that I use a 30amp Blink station which usually only gives 186 miles of range on standard mode before it shuts off.

Anyone experience anything like this before? I did some searching, but didn't find anything like this.

-Dan

2. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

WOW! I get 181 - 185 in my 2010 in standard mode! that is amazing!

3. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#3 wiztecy, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    Do you know how long you got to the car after if finished charging? The pack needs 15-30 minutes to balance, and after it balances it settles down on its real ideal miles. I get anywhere from 194 to 213 ideal miles in my standard mode charges depending on my amps (slower = higher) but after it completes its balancing always lands down to 182 ideal miles which is very accurate and consistent. That "right after charge" number is not a real useful number but rather misleading. I don't know if the model - s handles this better, but I'd think you could save the last 5 - 10 charges and give the user that number when its topping off the pack. Then once the pack balances its not a drastic change and buffers the misleading ideal miles with an average ideal miles the driver is use to seeing up/down to the balanced ideal miles. The delta would be smaller.

I'm really trying to wonder why the pack is taking such a high SOC on these charges, 94% when I hit 213 ideal miles. I don't know if its trying to pull up some weak bricks/sheets or what Tesla has going on behind the scenes.

4. The_User

The_User Member

I know what wiztecy is saying about false range readings after charging. There is 1.2 miles to drive from the Blink station back home, it only dropped to 210 miles when I pulled in the garage which is pretty normal (dropping only 2 miles of range). Plugged into the 115VAC that I normally use, I've noticed it's back to its 195 mile range again. It was probably nothing and I know these batteries don't develop memory cycles and don't get better with time or use. Just caught me off guard when I came back expecting to see the usual 186-187 miles of range and Blink saying "All done!" and seeing 212 and "All done!". Bizarre.

- - - Updated - - -

"Do you know how long you got to the car after if finished charging?"

Probably only about 15 minutes after it shut off.

-Dan

5. The_User

The_User Member

Tesla Range Jan-13.jpg

If I did this right, there should be a picture of today's charge on a 30amp Blink station. 202 miles of real range. Pretty neat! I know it shouldn't matter, but I'm starting to think the deep cycling of the battery has removed a little bit of the memory charging.

6. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I've never seen anything like that! Please do us a favor and submit your battery data to the two roadster battery studies. It only takes a minute and will benefit all of us.

This one looks at the logs and has a lot of data analysis posted here on TMC:
    Roadster-Owner-Based-Study-of-Battery-Pack-Capacity-Over-Time

This one doesn't require pulling logs and it's real easy to submit your data:
    Plug-In-America-Tesla-Roadster-Survey

Thanks!

7. The_User

The_User Member

Will do! Next time out on the road will be Monday. I'll pull logs and post. - Dan