Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada - CO-OP to get DC Fast Charging Stations 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Winnipeg and Manitoba in general have been pretty slow to build out EV charging stations. I've been a Red River Co-Op member for a long time and was wondering how they were planning on adjusting to the EV revolution.

I sent them the following email:

Hello there,

Recently, I've been looking into purchasing an electric car. Currently, one of the draw backs is that in Manitoba, there are very few places to charge when traveling throughout the province. I was wondering if Co-op had any plans to install any DC fast charging stations at their gas stations? It would be very convenient for me to drive to say Kenora from Winnipeg and have a place to charge for the drive back.

I look forward to your feedback.

And got the following reply:

The Co-op retailing system is looking at a universal network of fast charging stations in Western Canada. There has not been any official announcement, but I believe we should hear something this fall. Red River is hoping to have 4 location in Phase 1 and an additional 4 as part of Phase 2. Installation would not be until 2020 if approvals are received.

Red River has signed an agreement with Tesla for them to install a charging station at our Dryden location this summer, as part of their Canadian Charging network.

Hope this helps.

Please feel free to reach out to me or check our web site for updates.

Thanks

Gordon Grainger

Vice-President Energy Operations

Having more charging locations is going to really help with range anxiety especially in the -40 winter when range is reduced.

I wasn’t for adding on Supercharge Info 100%, but it’s been added anyway. Since this now a thread link on the site, can @Doug_G please change the title and add this in the Canadian Supercharger forum?

Makes sense. A little less than 250km from Prawda - already under construction. 100km onward to Ignace, which allegedly has a permit or a plan or something on the map and is itself 250km or so from Thunder Bay.

Plus the Sault Ste Marie base construction team said they were headed to Wawa next having done several preps from Ottawa westward. meanwhile, we see plenty of activity to complete Winnipeg westward too Looks like they are trying to finish the Trans-Canada over this summer or the next.

I requested more info and got the following reply:

Good day,

Summer is fast becoming fall and I have not had confirmation from Tesla of a start date for them to begin their install.

My last communication was still to be completed this year.
Any work we have done with Hydro 1 has not be fast or on schedule so I feel for Tesla with what they may be going through.

If I hear any update I will attempt to send you a note.

Gordon Grainger

Vice-President Energy Operations

Looks like nothing is happening fast...

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Either the title should be changed to focus on Dryden or the thread should be changed to a different forum. It is great that Co-ops are getting DC fast chargers but they aren't Superchargers and therefore don't belong in this thread - unless it focuses on the SC in Dryden.

Reactions: Tz00
Dryden, ON? That's a new one.

No mention of Whitewood, SK, which is already under construction.
Whitewood isn’t Red River Co-op turf, that’ll be part of a different Co-op. There’s an overarching entity, Federated Co-op, but all the retail operations are run by autonomous local entities that have a regional cluster of stores & services. A kind of franchise model of sorts.

<edit> Here it is, Borderland Coop. Borderland Co-op is a locally-owned co-operative serving Whitewood, Moosomin, Rocanville, and Maryfield. Btw that means that the Davidson Co-op SC is going to be a separate deal, as well, as that’s another regional Co-op.

Last edited:
Construction has started in Dryden at the Red River Coop! Photos by @Sirdork on PlugShare.

2 Tesla Energy cabinets are on site, along with the autotransformers. No stalls onsite yet, or so it seems.

P. S. Can @Doug_G please change the thread title to “Supercharger - Dryden, ON”
8B91E0F0-D94B-41B9-96B5-201B6EE397BA.jpeg
B80DD2A1-B167-45B1-AAE0-5946348C25FF.jpeg
29D53972-A747-4F48-9081-383B46C2B1EB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: XHabjab
Construction has started in Dryden at the Red River Coop! Photos by @Sirdork on PlugShare.

2 Tesla Energy cabinets are on site, along with the autotransformers. No stalls onsite yet, or so it seems.View attachment 467428View attachment 467426 View attachment 467429
Excellent info but why didn't you add this to the existing Dryden ON supercharger link here?

(Edit) Also the supercharger.info site incorrectly points here instead of the Dryden ON forum. Can we fix that too?

Reactions: RedOctober
Or just move the posts to the existing thread with that title?
Yes, we could merge threads, but I do hope you know that this thread came first, and always was the original finding thread. That was the reason I asked for this thread to have the “what-I-call” official thread naming, to avoid something like this!