Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, remember that the AC Charger is only about 90% efficient putting DC into the battery. Reduce the energy tally by 10% to get those 75 kWh into the battery. 75kWh/6kW/90%=13.9 hours...

That sounds reasonable, but I've never seen that. When plugging into a charger that is almost exactly 200V under load, and 30 A, I see exactly 6 kWh added for each hour charging. Ok, I think I see that, anyway. I'll have to run a long experiment. (I don't drive that much daily so don't usually have that long to charge!)

Google Maps addition

Good day, Western Canada Superchargers enthusiasts.

I added a photo of our Canmore meet-up to the Google Maps entry for the Canmore Supercharger: Google Maps.

I know many of you have excellent photos of our Supercharger network, and I encourage you to share a few of your favourites with the Google Maps community, if you are into the whole photo-sharing thing.

Google has had some pranksters taking advantage of their automated approval system, so it may take a week or so for a human to approve your photo, but submitting the photo is super easy, simply following the Add a Photo link in the Google Maps listing.

Oh, speaking of listings, when I add Superchargers, I use the format, "Tesla Supercharger - CityName" in the title, which I think is more descriptive than simply "Tesla Supercharger", so I propose that format as a standard for when we add new map entries, like for when we add "Tesla Supercharger - Merritt". :wink:

Has anyone ever used the Plugshare in Cranbrook at the Cranbrook recreational Complex? Does anyone know how many volts/Amps this charger is? I have never used one of these chargers so not sure what to expect for charging time. (I do have Dual chargers in my P85D) I am planning a trip to Spokane and Cranbrook is a logical overnight location.

Any feedback is appreciated!!

Fernie has a faster charger than Cranbrook: "Charger is a Sun Country CS-90 providing 69A @ 229V and is located on the roundabout in front of City Hall."

Invermere also has a faster charger than Cranbrook: "Charger is a Sun Country CS-90 providing 68A @ 202V. This single stall, complimentary Level 2 EV Charger is a partnership project of Kicking Horse Coffee and Groundswell Network Society."

Last edited:
Fernie has a faster charger than Cranbrook: "Charger is a Sun Country CS-90 providing 69A @ 229V and is located on the roundabout in front of City Hall."

Invermere also has a faster charger than Cranbrook: "Charger is a Sun Country CS-90 providing 68A @ 202V. This single stall, complimentary Level 2 EV Charger is a partnership project of Kicking Horse Coffee and Groundswell Network Society."

Thanks for your feedback. The challenge here is my end goal is to make it to the Coeur d'Alene Super Charger and although Fernie and Invermere would be faster they are too far away for my comfort from Coeur d'Alene.

Does anyone know if the Kelowna or Merritt supercharger permits are in?
My contacts in Merritt (City) gave me a blank 'whatcha talkin bout' look when I asked, so even if it's a confidentiality thing and they couldn't say, I think I got the answer. Unless it's on private property that doesn't require permitting, I'd guess the process hasn't even started yet. I'll have another discussion this week.

Does anyone know if the Kelowna or Merritt supercharger permits are in?
And City of Kelowna is also unaware of any activity. However, if it's not going on municipal land, they could be out of the loop until the last moment when a building permit application comes in... and that permit might not be necessary either if it's really just an electrical connection and arrangements with the power authority. It would be good to understand the background design and permitting process better, because this is the sort of thing that isn't really a construction project from a typical permit perspective. There is no actual building, just some electrical infrastructure with a wooden fence around the parts... and the 'electron pumps'... I'm not convinced the municipality would become involved unless there was a zoning concern with the intended usage.

FWIW, the Kelowna person I spoke to is going to do some digging and perhaps contact Tesla directly. I'll update if anything comes to light.

I just had a funny thought. Fort McMurray is probably a few hundred spots down the list of important destinations to enable Supercharger travel for, in terms of actual use, but: would it be a public relations victory? For the cost of three or four Superchargers, Tesla could demonstrate to the world the fact that long-distance travel by car is possible without burning fuel, right in the heart of an oil extraction region which has a very poor environmental reputation. Focus the spotlight on the poor energy return from putting energy into heating up tar, versus generating electricity in a renewable way and using that to power transportation. To really do this right, Tesla would have to buy the electricity from a renewable energy provider, not from the general Alberta sources which ARE powered by fossil fuels. Either that or install a whole lot of solar power along the route.

Wouldn't this play really well in the U.S. media especially? There's a huge backlash there to "dirty tar sands oil" and the Keystone XL pipeline.

Just a thought experiment...

I just had a funny thought. Fort McMurray is probably a few hundred spots down the list of important destinations to enable Supercharger travel for, in terms of actual use, but: would it be a public relations victory?
I'd love to see it myself, but I'm not volunteering my car for the mission up that way... the odds that it wouldn't be driven over 'accidentally' by a monster truck or at the very least, keyed in a parking lot, just aren't that good... :cool:

I just had a funny thought. Fort McMurray is probably a few hundred spots down the list of important destinations to enable Supercharger travel for, in terms of actual use, but: would it be a public relations victory? For the cost of three or four Superchargers, Tesla could demonstrate to the world the fact that long-distance travel by car is possible without burning fuel, right in the heart of an oil extraction region which has a very poor environmental reputation. Focus the spotlight on the poor energy return from putting energy into heating up tar, versus generating electricity in a renewable way and using that to power transportation. To really do this right, Tesla would have to buy the electricity from a renewable energy provider, not from the general Alberta sources which ARE powered by fossil fuels. Either that or install a whole lot of solar power along the route.

Wouldn't this play really well in the U.S. media especially? There's a huge backlash there to "dirty tar sands oil" and the Keystone XL pipeline.

Just a thought experiment...

I'd love to see something like this, but they'd have to install one at least halfway along Hwy 63 in Boyle or somesuch place as it's over 400 km to Fort McMurray from Edmonton. I do agree with the one response though, that the site would likely be vandalized. The Tim Horton's/Enbridge kerfuffle was all over them pulling ads from their stores. I can only imagine how some might react to a Supercharger running on clean energy in the middle of town. I think the victory would look a lot more like a big middle finger. Not that I have any issues with that, but some certainly will.

On a tangential note, a Tesla pickup can't come soon enough.

I was thinking of one just north of Edmonton and then another probably closer to Fort McMurray, but not in Fort McMurray itself.

There are two EVSEs in Fort McMurray - a Sun Country one at the airport, and one at the Ford dealer ("inside for service or emergencies only"). I doubt that the one at the airport will be vandalized, though I also doubt it sees much use!

I would bet you that a Model S is more likely to be "keyed" in a big city than in Fort McMurray.

Jasper National Park needs an EV charger. According to PlugShare there is nothing there. And good luck getting a charge at a campground site; they're always full

Somewhat surprising considering that Banff has 5 or more J1772.

Even the 2 year old Federal Jail in Edmonton has 14 EV chargers (for staff only).
At least there should be some consideration for the Feds to do something in a National Park like Jasper. (please excuse if this sounds like a rant )

The hotels need some encouragement as well.

But of course a Supercharger would be perfect.
The drive between Jasper and Banff is breathtaking.

Jasper National Park needs an EV charger. According to PlugShare there is nothing there

I agree entirely. I know that Tesla has built an impressive network funded from their own sources, but I sometimes wonder why they don't at least accelerate the "destination charger" program. For the cost of one Supercharger installation they could send out at least 300 HPWCs. Why not try to sign up a national chain? Surely there would be a marketing advantage to a hotel chain offering charging at all their hotels? The cost is really not that large.

I agree entirely. I know that Tesla has built an impressive network funded from their own sources, but I sometimes wonder why they don't at least accelerate the "destination charger" program. For the cost of one Supercharger installation they could send out at least 300 HPWCs. Why not try to sign up a national chain? Surely there would be a marketing advantage to a hotel chain offering charging at all their hotels? The cost is really not that large.

Oddly, plenty of people have mentioned trying to get hotel X in city of Y interested in signing up for the Destination Charging program, and essentially being rejected by the hotel. It's hard to believe since Tesla pays for the chargers and the installation. I suspect that the hotels just aren't that aware yet of EVs so it sounds like a hassle with not much payout. They may regret that some day. Eventually, the tables will turn and hotels will be asking Tesla for chargers, but probably at their own expense by that time.

It's hard to believe since Tesla pays for the chargers and the installation.
My understanding is that tesla only supplies the charger, not the installation, when you are talking a commercial property the cost of install will likely dwarf the cost of the charger, and for a hotel to do that they'd really be better off buying a generic charger than a tesla specific one so that other EVs can charge as well

I...... Why not try to sign up a national chain? Surely there would be a marketing advantage to a hotel chain offering charging at all their hotels? The cost is really not that large.

Banff Springs has 3 - J1772 chargers, Jasper Park Lodge none (AFAIK) both are Fairmont hotels. Should start a once a week phone campaign to Jasper Park lodge to ask if they have a charger and why the difference.
I'll make the first call this week and also send an email to the address on their website. Jasper Hotels | Luxury Jasper Hotel | Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge Resort

My understanding is that tesla only supplies the charger, not the installation, when you are talking a commercial property the cost of install will likely dwarf the cost of the charger, and for a hotel to do that they'd really be better off buying a generic charger than a tesla specific one so that other EVs can charge as well

In some cases they will pay for the installation. I'm guessing it depends on demand and how well the area in question is served charging-wise.