Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? Let's see you do a day trip from Victoria to Courtenay/Comox or Campbell River and back. Ditto for Victoria to Tofino as a day trip. Use the same logic and there is zero need for a Supercharger in Squamish. The traffic up island and to Tofino is as much as goes up the Sea to Sky highway.
Agreed. I just re-read my original post, and see how this statement taken on it's own sounds like I dismissed the SC need on the island. I did say that such a SC would definitely have more use than Cranbrook (or others in the inland empire), so probably a higher priority. I'm not familiar with traffic volumes in BC, the island, or Canada in general, so my comments should not be relied on. My experience was just that, an experience of vacation travel for which destination chargers work nicely (even though I could only L1 at my Naniamo B&B).

However, I have a hard time imagine doing such a Victoria trip, certainly not me, and I feel sorry for anyone else who does it. Google says 4.5 hrs one way to Tofino and 3 hr one way to Campbell River. Thus, RT is either 6 or 9 hrs of driving. Stop for food/break and stretch that to 7 or 10 hrs and for what? Let's see, I have just enough time to drop off a package, snap a quick picture, drop a fishing line in the water, and return.

Are there really people who drive 10+ hours as such? Well, yes apparently there are. When we test drove the Tesla, we drove 700 km RT in one day, left at 5am for a 10 am appointment and returned the same day. Yes, stupid is what it was, but there were no showrooms anywhere closer, I wanted to keep the purchase/test drive a secret from family/friends, and I certainly won't be doing it again.

When I did Naniamo to Tofino, in the rain, it was a tough drive with tailgaters the whole way, thinking that doing 20 km over was safe (hmmm, maybe some of those were the daily Victoria to Tofino commuters that we're discussing). If I had to do a similar drive with a return in the same day, I'd certainly quit whatever job was causing this, and if it were for pleasure, I'd reevaluate my philosophy on pleasure.

I just finished a trip down to southern CA (LAX). I wanted to drive through eastern OR because it's shorter, more scenic and with less traffic. I drove down I-5 instead, but added a few extra sites/visits. I was still a great trip, but different.

I would like to drive up to Revelstoke and Banff. Unfortunately, it's 650 km one way from Ellensburg to Revelstoke through the Okanagan. Maybe next year Kelowna will have a SC, maybe not. It will be a long slog using L2 J1772 or HPWCs with my single charger, or I can go through Seattle/Vancouver and have a longer, more stressful and traffic-filled experience. Maybe not as relaxing, but it will be a good trip nonetheless.

Unfortunately, there will always be areas that are not covered by SCs. We just need to adjust to the charging that is available and change our driving patterns. We can submit locations to Tesla and hope for the best, but in the end, we are still beholden to electricity supply, just as gas drivers are beholden to gas stations.

Additional discussion of locations here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/18809-Canadian-Trip-Planning/page25

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. However, I have a hard time imagine doing such a thing, certainly not me, and I feel sorry for anyone else who does it. Google says 4.5 hrs one way to Tofino and 3 hr one way to Campbell River. Thus, RT is either 6 or 9 hrs of driving. Stop for food/break and stretch that to 7 or 10 hrs and for what? Let's see, I have just enough time to drop off a package, snap a quick picture, drop a fishing line in the water, and return.

The way I read PoweredByRain's comments, I didn't take Tofino to necessarily be a return day trip from Victoria. More that Nanaimo is a good central location to allow island travelers to get pretty much anywhere to anywhere on the island without having to spend a night destination charging. I agree with him on that idea, although I don't spend that much time over there anymore (ferry prices have soured me on the regular trips I used to make).

While it isn't a daily occurrence, a six or seven hour round trip day isn't uncommon for me. And unless the conditions are horrible, I look forward to the windshield time as a diversion from the regular grind. Victoria to Courtenay for a visit with friends and back to Victoria again isn't a big stretch IMHO. Or driving from just about anywhere on the island for a day of skiing on Mt. Washington. But I admit to enjoying driving more than many and did a little more than 700 km round trip for my Tesla test drive without batting an eye... in an ICE!!! :eek:

ReddyLeaf said:
I would like to drive up to Revelstoke and Banff. Unfortunately, it's 650 km one way from Ellensburg to Revelstoke through the Okanagan. Maybe next year Kelowna will have a SC, maybe not. It will be a long slog using L2 J1772 or HPWCs with my single charger, or I can go through Seattle/Vancouver and have a longer, more stressful and traffic-filled experience. Maybe not as relaxing, but it will be a good trip nonetheless.
Based on the photos upthread, I expect Kelowna's SC will be on line this month, or by year end at the latest (assuming no equipment supply issues).

Based on the photos upthread, I expect Kelowna's SC will be on line this month, or by year end at the latest (assuming no equipment supply issues).

I drove by it on Friday evening and took this picture:

kelownaSC.jpg

I sure "hope" we don't have a repeat of "Hope" when it comes time for BC Hydro to connect the power. If so, your year end prediction is overly optimistic.

However, I have a hard time imagine doing such a Victoria trip, certainly not me, and I feel sorry for anyone else who does it. Google says 4.5 hrs one way to Tofino and 3 hr one way to Campbell River. Thus, RT is either 6 or 9 hrs of driving. Stop for food/break and stretch that to 7 or 10 hrs and for what?

For a soccer game, believe it or not. There are youth teams that compete between Victoria and Courtenay/Campbell River. In addition there are plenty of people who go to Mount Washington to ski. If there was destination charging there, that would be great, but there isn't.

Furthermore, relying on one destination charger isn't going to cut it long term.

I am talking about one Supercharger location, with more than enough traffic to justify it, and plenty of uses. I know that it isn't as important as supporting owners in the Lower Mainland, but there are quite a few of us here on the island. (I see another Model S almost every time I drive locally now). I think a Nanaimo area location is important, as is adding Superchargers across the prairies. I am very disappointed that Tesla doesn't seem to even have it in the plans at all.

Reactions: Kira
Hi all, first post on this forum. I live in Kelowna, just a few blocks from the new supercharger site at the Best Western. I will be taking photos every few days and will post them so you can see the progress.
I don't own a Tesla yet but I hope to soon. For some reason I'm very excited about the construction of the new SC here in Kelowna.

Max

Hi all, first post on this forum. I live in Kelowna, just a few blocks from the new supercharger site at the Best Western. I will be taking photos every few days and will post them so you can see the progress.
I don't own a Tesla yet but I hope to soon. For some reason I'm very excited about the construction of the new SC here in Kelowna.

Max

Great. Thanks Max! And welcome to the forum.

two things bother me...

One - they seem to be single head devices, meaning zero redundancy. If you're banking on the unit being available for use AND functional, you could be sadly surprised.

Two - my understanding is that they are charging around 35 cents per kWh. In the scheme of things, not big dollars for the number of times you're going to use it. But given that BC Hydro is a big part of the project, it offends me that they're gouging on the kWh rate. If they're trying to pay for the equipment with the extra dollars charged, they probably shouldn't make it sound like a wonderful government initiative - it's just another business venture.

There are at present no manufacturers of multi-head ChaDeMo chargers (that I know of). There are dual head ChaDeMo - SAE units, but they can only use one chordset at a time.

In my opinion, the correct way to bill for DC-FC, if you intend to bill, is by time. And make it much more expensive than nearby parking spots. That way people will be very conscious of how long they're parked, and will get the heck off the plug once they have enough charge, or once their charge rate tapers to the point they can't stand it. That means the first 30-45 min (in a Nissan Leaf, starting from empty) give you relatively inexpensive electricity, but after that it gets rather pricey on a /kWh basis.
In defense of BCHydro, however, if you figure the installations are on the order of $50,000 (the only one I have actual numbers for was much higher than that), then you have to sell a LOT of kWh at $0.35 each (figure $0.30 of profit?) to pay for it. I don't think BCHydro is benefiting directly from DC-FC electricity sales, only from enabling the market for EVs which then leads to greater residential electricity sales.

There are at present no manufacturers of multi-head ChaDeMo chargers (that I know of). There are dual head ChaDeMo - SAE units, but they can only use one chordset at a time.
I was actually thinking of redundancy in terms of having a second ChaDeMo device installed on the site. Watching how Merritt came online, I was made aware of how easy it is to have one go down... and if someone is driving that direction with a low charge, they could be in for a shock. Hopefully a Level 2 device will be nearby as backup. In the case of Merritt, early issues with the cellular data connection kept users from getting power. Looking at Plugshare, it seems that other sites have had issues too, and repairs aren't always quick.

Don't get me wrong, the more charging options available, the better, but crawling across the desert *hoping* there's still water at the oasis isn't a great way to promote EV travel! :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully I did this right. These photos were taken today at 2:15 PM.
Looks like they're ready for concrete. Shouldn't be long if the hardware is close and Hydro on the ball!

Seven stalls? That's unusual.
There are 8 stalls. The one you don't see is to the right of the tent on the other side of the concrete walkway leading to the side door on the building (behind the worker with the shovel in the photo below). It is also a back-in stall.
image.jpeg

(Friday, 30 October 2015).

The vault for the Fortis transformer (not BC Hydro) is immediately to the left of where this photo was taken from. On Friday the contractor was busy trenching in conduit for the feed from Fortis. It's about a hundred metre pull (!) around the north side of the building and out to Hwy 97.

Typical Tesla shipping crates were onsite last week, though, now that I think about it, I don't think there were enough crates for 4 chargers / 8 stalls.

Last edited: