Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose it's a question of building the cart before getting the horse. The SC infrastructure needs to be built and inspected before the transformer shows up. It's a matter of timing and approvals. Since the SC can be built much quicker that the Utility companies react , this is probably the reason none of the other sites have started construction. For Hope there was hope but it will come eventually so at least its not hopeless. Just don't know when.:mad:

I've worked on construction sites with significant power requirements, and if it took 2 months to get a transformer dropped off and wired in, there would be little point in starting construction. Installation of a transformer in Hope is maybe a day's work and I don't see how a 500 kVA transformer is anything special. The problem is scheduling, and, ultimately that's the project management's responsibility.

Canmore Supercharger. Hallelujah!!
Come on Red Deer!!

email from Canmore Rocky Mountain Inn

Good morning,

Just letting you know that construction has started for the Tesla Supercharger Station in Canmore. I have been informed that the station will be ready by December 15, 2014.

Regards,

Nicole
Front Desk Agent
Canmore Rocky Mountain Inn

Last edited:
Come on Red Deer!!

Good morning,

Just letting you know that construction has started for the Tesla Supercharger Station in Canmore. I have been informed that the station will be ready by December 15, 2014.

Regards,

Nicole
Front Desk Agent

Giggity, giggity, giggity.... Allllllll right

Come on Red Deer!!

Good morning,

Regards,

Nicole
Front Desk Agent

Just in time for my new P85D - looks like I will take my first distance drive out to Canmore to celebrate the supercharger opening. Wonder if that means that Enmax or whomever is responsible for this in Alberta is more efficient. From my experience of Enmax it seems unlikely - or maybe that reflects just how bad BC Hydro is.

Our Model S85 will be here in late FEB, looking forward to checking this charger out as well, and looking forward to a Red Deer one as well. Work has me making quite a few Calgary/Edmonton trips. I'm hoping Red Deer goes live sometime around Feb2015.

I've worked on construction sites with significant power requirements, and if it took 2 months to get a transformer dropped off and wired in, there would be little point in starting construction. Installation of a transformer in Hope is maybe a day's work and I don't see how a 500 kVA transformer is anything special. The problem is scheduling, and, ultimately that's the project management's responsibility.
We just installed a 54 kW solar system on our commercial building. Our installer advised that the utility will not process the order for the required bi-directional meter until the final electrical inspection has passed. (Supposedly a 10 day turn around time to get the meter, which the installer says is good for our area.) we shall see....

Has anyone heard anything new about the possibility of a SC in the Kelowna area? I have a friend that would buy a Model X if he could drive to Kelowna and back the same day. He makes the trip once a week and does 50k km/yr, but the lack of SCs is the deal breaker. He has driven my Model S and loves it. I guess the lost sales are not a huge incentive for Tesla as long as they are supply constrained.

Hope, BC Update - only change is in the weather

Well, ... the weather has changed back to normal in Hope, but there is no sign of work in the last 2 months. There's been enough rain recently that I expect that some of it has entered the conduit attached to the BC Hydro power pole. Give it a couple of weeks and the excuse will be that the conduit is full of ice and we'll be waiting until spring.

IMG_20141109_124234.jpg

Alternative story.... "In Hope, BC, an up and coming installation artist, Telsa, has revealed his latest work. An up-dated, down-to-earth, interpretation of Stanley Kubrick's 1968 cult film 2001, A Space Odyssey, the artist has erected 6 monoliths whose purpose remains uncertain...."

IMG_20141111_165944_edit.jpg

Still waiting to hear word from Telsa Motors, Inc. as to what the hold-up is.

Hope Update

I've heard through the grapevine that the problem with Hope was land use designation (sorry if that was already identified - I didn't read back in the thread). It was not changed from use as a parking lot (assume that is a Hope town mistake) so Hydro won't touch it until it has been re-designated. Apparently that takes a while.

I've heard through the grapevine that the problem with Hope was land use designation (sorry if that was already identified - I didn't read back in the thread). It was not changed from use as a parking lot (assume that is a Hope town mistake) so Hydro won't touch it until it has been re-designated. Apparently that takes a while.

Improper land use designation has been rumoured to be the hold up, and while that may very well be the case, Tesla Motors Inc has remained silent for 2 months. Surely Telsa would know what the problem is and I wonder why they are unwilling to share that information.

Golden Supercharger

Golden Travelodge
1200 - 12th Street North
Golden , British Columbia
V0A 1H0
http://www.travelodge.ca/property/travelodge-golden

email received today from Town of Golden

To follow up we issued a permit to Tesla to install four of their stations at the Golden Travelodge.

Regards,
Phil Armstrong MCIP, RPP |Manager of Development Services / Planner |Town of Golden

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything new about the possibility of a SC in the Kelowna area? I have a friend that would buy a Model X if he could drive to Kelowna and back the same day. He makes the trip once a week and does 50k km/yr, but the lack of SCs is the deal breaker. He has driven my Model S and loves it. I guess the lost sales are not a huge incentive for Tesla as long as they are supply constrained.
There are no announced plans for anything apart from the Vancouver-Calgary-Edmonton run. And that's one of my big complaints, while dozens of superchargers get installed in much smaller countries, who have had Teslas for much less time, Canada is being treated as a second class citizen.
I can list a lot of places I want to see superchargers. Kelowna and Radium/Invermere are 2 of my first choices. Also Vancouver Island (Nanaimo?), Jasper, Something south of Calgary to allow travel to Lethbridge, and then the whole rest of the Trans Canada highway...