Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the response I got from Scott Misumi at the District of Hope. I think it's clear that the delay is not a Hope issue and it sounds like it is purely in BC Hydro's domain:

Hello Mike,
Telsa started dealing with the District of Hope earlier in the year. As a result of our discussions, we determined that no Land Use or Building permits would be required for their proposal except for a driveway access permit which they obtained immediately. Since then, we have had little involvement with their charging station; however, we have heard a few rumours. One was that there was a problem with their zoning but this is false as we do not have concerns with the land use.

If some sort of municipal zoning/bylaw issue standing in the way of obtaining power, then I’m sure BC Hydro would have contacted the District of Hope first. There is one possible problem which is that the parking lot consists of two lots. BC Hydro usually requires an easement to have power lines cross property lines even though the properties are owned by the same person; however, I do not know if this is the case. Regardless, Telsa was advised of this potential problem back on June 2014.

I contacted Telsa directly and they reported that they are still waiting for BC Hydro. They stated that all the paperwork has been completed and their station is ready to go once they have power. They did not have an indication as to when BC Hydro will make the connection.

I’m afraid that’s about all the information I have at this point in time. Telsa did apologize for the delay and are just as anxious for the opening as we are. I hope it is resolved quickly.

Regards,

Scott Misumi, A.Sc.T.
Director of Community Development
District of Hope

I've started tweeting BC Hydro on a regular basis about this. Perhaps if we had a few more people doing the same they might pay attention?

Thanks for posting that letter @chongov.

There is one possible problem which is that the parking lot consists of two lots. BC Hydro usually requires an easement to have power lines cross property lines even though the properties are owned by the same person; however, I do not know if this is the case. Regardless, Telsa was advised of this potential problem back on June 2014.

I wouldn't be surprised if that right-of-way is the issue. I don't really know the layout of the cables, but it if crosses property lines, it absolutely will need a right-of-way or private easement. If somebody (either Hydro or Tesla) has retained a Land Surveyor to prepare the right-of-way plan and registered it, it would show up at BCOnLine, but since I don't have an account there I did the next best thing and looked at the District of Squamish's online mapping system. It doesn't show up there. Hope(fully) Black + Veech identified this early on and got somebody to get on it, and this isn't the cause of the delay.
fort+fraser.jpg

Here is the response I got from Scott Misumi at the District of Hope. I think it's clear that the delay is not a Hope issue and it sounds like it is purely in BC Hydro's domain:
Does BC Hydro require a 25 kV (rather than the standard residential 12 kV) distribution line to power a 500 kVA load? If so, I'm wondering it this is the problem. I didn't look at the overhead lines when I was in Hope, but my photos have me wondering.

Does BC Hydro require a 25 kV (rather than the standard residential 12 kV) distribution line to power a 500 kVA load? If so, I'm wondering it this is the problem. I didn't look at the overhead lines when I was in Hope, but my photos have me wondering.

Even at 12kV, 500kVA is only 24 Amps per phase. I can't see that being an issue, but then again, I don't know BC Hydro...

The easement sure can be an issue. That's what delayed San Juan Capistrano by almost a year. The power company wanted one set of easement termination agreement provisions and the land owner (bank) wanted another. Neither sides lawyers wanted to back down.

Pictures of Canmore supercharger. Located at the back of the Canmore Rocky Mountain Inn. Could be 6-8 spots.

Compliments of Edwin Ma in the Electric Vehicle Association of Alberta (EVAA) group on Facebook.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Note, I saw this on the EVAA group page last Friday.

The easement sure can be an issue. That's what delayed San Juan Capistrano by almost a year.

Wow - in Germany you are required by law to endure any measures on your property regarding electrical and water/sewage. You just don't have a say in the matter except that the respective operating companies cannot go through your buildings or inconvenience you in the use of your property (transformer right in front of your door and such).

This enables fast reaction times when these infrastructures have to be changed.

Funnily/sadly enough, for electrical the law concerned (Niederspannungsrichtlinie) goes back to Nazi times...

Cheers

Frank

Pictures of Canmore supercharger. Located at the back of the Canmore Rocky Mountain Inn. Could be 6-8 spots.

Compliments of Edwin Ma in the Electric Vehicle Association of Alberta (EVAA) group on Facebook.

Note, I saw this on the EVAA group page last Friday.

It looks like 2 Supercharger Cabinets in those pictures which would mean a 4 charging stall site. Also that gray box on a pallet looks like a 600 to 480 Volt autotransformer.

I hope construction goes easily and quickly in the cold and snow.

Vger, you got your P85D order in yet? Hate for you not have the fastest car on Salt Spring Island!

Actually, yes. Posted elsewhere here. Being the kind of guy I am, Maggie gets the new P85D, which she has already named "Pearl". Delivery is expected just before Christmas. :biggrin:

I am keeping our Signature for now. We shall see whether I can live without the Model X when it finally arrives. :wink: