Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the build quality on pre Shanghai model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 Fremont Model 3 (with a bit over 70k miles on it). Build quality been acceptable - but not perfect. The driver seat wiring harness got pinched and damaged by moving the seat (fixed under warranty). The rear trunk wiring harness was also replaced under warranty. One of the buttons for adjusting the driver seat was also replaced under warranty.

It's moderate rattley (I haven't done anything about it but a subtle rattle from near the lights on the ceiling).

Otherwise mechanically it's been solid.

IMO, day to day the biggest drawbacks of cars of this era are suspension / ride quality, cabin noise, and seat comfort (that one is a bit subjective, I personally don't like my seats). New cars (Highland Model 3 Performance, in particular!) improve on all of these areas, and generally feel like they have a higher end interior. Highland Model 3 really feels like a totally different car inside, almost every surface and material has been changed.

Reactions: Jangy
I have a 2019 Fremont Model 3 (with a bit over 70k miles on it). Build quality been acceptable - but not perfect. The driver seat wiring harness got pinched and damaged by moving the seat (fixed under warranty). The rear trunk wiring harness was also replaced under warranty. One of the buttons for adjusting the driver seat was also replaced under warranty.

It's moderate rattley (I haven't done anything about it but a subtle rattle from near the lights on the ceiling).

Otherwise mechanically it's been solid.

IMO, day to day the biggest drawbacks of cars of this era are suspension / ride quality, cabin noise, and seat comfort (that one is a bit subjective, I personally don't like my seats). New cars (Highland Model 3 Performance, in particular!) improve on all of these areas, and generally feel like they have a higher end interior. Highland Model 3 really feels like a totally different car inside, almost every surface and material has been changed.
100%. Each refresh has been significant. I love the '24 MP3. To your point, each of those areas has been addressed
IMG_1740.jpeg

LG vs Panasonic battery is a big enough difference that I won't bother to make a list. Now the LR has it, too. The US always gets the prime supply. And the US factory is the most agile, as are the zillions of centers around. The last thing I would want is a Chinese built Tesla.

I have to disagree with some of this. First off, Fremont has produced cars with both LG and Panasonic battery packs over time so that's not a benefit of Fremont in all cases.

The US doesn't always get the prime supply. The 4680 Model Ys were only made briefly but were pretty poor in terms of charging performance.

"Agile" isn't really always what you want for build quality. There's a benefit to letting Fremont try things out and then adopt it once the problems are ironed out.

My Fremont built April 2020 Model 3 LR was as faultless as the Shanghai built December 2022 Model Y LR I now drive.

The only manufacturing issue I found with the earlier car was a tiny dust blob under the clear coat on a wing mirror, replaced at home by a Ranger a few days after delivery of the car (...but I did accidentally fry the e-SIM during a supercharger session in 2020, however that was resolved very rapidly. Don't try to complete a software update while supercharging, including exiting the car at the same time! 🤦‍♀️)

I have to disagree with some of this. First off, Fremont has produced cars with both LG and Panasonic battery packs over time so that's not a benefit of Fremont in all cases.

The US doesn't always get the prime supply. The 4680 Model Ys were only made briefly but were pretty poor in terms of charging performance.

"Agile" isn't really always what you want for build quality. There's a benefit to letting Fremont try things out and then adopt it once the problems are ironed out.
All my Teslas have had the Panasonic. All were also built in Fremont. What I said was that the prime parts are prioritized here. I didn't say that they can make enough of them yet. That's why it took a bit to get to the LR. Also, note that I didn't say the China made ones are any different. I said that the TESLA process dictates the quality of the car. PERIOD. The Cybertruck is full of recalls, not because of the nationality of the worker, but because Tesla chooses to launch stuff ASAP and then deal with it.

That segways into your last point, about not wanting agility. I do. You may not. I'm not whining. I'd have 5 model 3s in my immediate family and I have LOVED them all. None were perfect. None drove like the Benzes I used to drive. I like that tesla is disrupting the market. Many may not. Tesla may not be for everyone. And more competition is coming. My next car may not be a Tesla. But the last thing that will go into my thought process regarding which to get will be the manufacturing location of the car. I know that Tesla wouldn't give a single concession to add quality, if it isn't already baked into their processes. You're assuming that the Chinese factory has some added budget to take an R&D project and get it ready for scale. That isn't the philosophy, regardless of what rhetoric it fits. It's the exact same concept as an iPhone. I personally prefer new tech, any day. Especially if it is generational differences like the updates in '21 and '24. Those are WAY more significant to me than where it was built.

Why would you poke if you really wanted it to stop? I love how you avoid the facts but have plenty to "say"
Based on direct personal experience, I offered a couple of data points which where both relevant too and directly addressed OP's question. Others have added similarly to this thread. If enough people do this, you build up a consensus...hive knowledge.

You however launched into the thread with a series of comments which appeared to do little other than demean and belittle OP and demonstrate that you know how to use the CAPS function on your keyboard, if not necessarily when it is appropriate to deploy this!

Last edited:
Reactions: Masklin
Based on direct personal experience, I offered a couple of data points which where both relevant too and directly addressed OP's question. Others have added similarly to this thread. If enough people do this, you build up a consensus...hive knowledge.

You however launched into the thread with a series of comments which appeared to do little other than demean and belittle OP and demonstrate that you know how to use the CAPS function on your keyboard, if not necessarily when it is appropriate to deploy this!
Hive knowledge. This is so funny. What is wrong with education? Hive knowledge, indeed.