Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about License Plates? SnapPlate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are people doing about license plates?

Have people bought the SnapPlate? How is it?
I just bought a SnapPlate recently and love it. Super easy to install. I would normally just go without a front plate, but I tinted the front windows darker than usual and any tint on the front windows is illegal in CA. I didn’t want to add another reason to get pulled over so SnapPlate was the perfect solution.

It doesn’t. It gets inserted into the same general vicinity, but the actual mechanism that attaches to the car attaches behind the grill to the inner side of the bumper itself, whereas the snap plate attaches directly to the fins of the grille.

This is correct. Quick bandit is the optimal solution in my mind. I also just remove it (so easy!) when I wash the car.

I don't know anything about the one you posted, but it looks like it blocks the airflow. I think most people who buy the SnapPlate or Quick Bandit, myself included, don't want to block the airflow through the grill. That's why the license plate is angled up and out of the way. I'm also not sure how quickly it can be removed. I wanted something that can be removed quickly. It takes me about 2 seconds to remove the SnapPlate whenever I want so that was one of the selling points for me. Maybe I'm just trying to justify spending so much on a license plate holder, but this was my original thinking haha.

When there’s options like this
No-Hole Tesla Model 3 or Model Y Front License Plate | Etsy for $8, I can’t justify spending $120 more for snap plate - but the reviews I keep reading about snap plate make it seem like a great solution - has anyone used something like this $8 solution instead and found anything they hated about it vs. snap plate?

I was leaning towards this solution but realized that will place your front plate so that it covers a significant amount of the vent area compared fo the SnapPlate and other solutions. Given it’s quite hot in Houston and the complaints about AC not working, I decided against this as I want as much airflow to my battery as possible.

Tesla put the front license plate on for me at delivery. No extra charge. Not sure what an aftermarket plate holder gets you over the Tesla holder.

Only because the Tesla one is stuck to the front bumper with (strong) adhesive. Some of us feel this is not the best method as it can damage the bumper as a result of using adhesive and doesn’t look as good. We want something that mounts without adhesives or drill holes

Reactions: laservet
The only thing that worries me about the snap plate and or quick bandit is whether or not years of having 75mph force of wind hitting the plate and torquing the grille or bumper does any damage to the car. I’d think the snap plate would suffer this more, but both aren’t super sturdy if you apply a few lbs of force to the plate. And I’m assuming wind at 75mph applies a fair amount more...

I watched a few videos on both products. I also don't want to spend $100+ on a plate holder, but if and when I do, I'll probably go with Quick Bandit 2. Both seem super easy to install and take off. I do like the concept of Snap Plate so it doesn't damage the grill, but I think it "snaps" off too easily (hence losing your actual plate in the process), especially if you go through a car wash. With Quick Bandit 2, I emailed the owner of the company (1975 Creations) and he said the Bandit 2 doesn't break as easily....and if it ever does, it's covered under warranty (at least that's what he replied with in the email).