Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what about solid state batteries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need also to considere that in Japan, big companies have a no lay off policy and provide life time employment.

So Toyota just try to by time to wait until most of the worker in those factories making ICE engines and gearboxes will retire to close or to convert those factories to make EVs.

This is why Toyota build their new EVs in China, so Toyota don't need to build new factories in Japan, and only make EVs for getting some experience doing so.

Toyota spent two years to fix the wheels falling off. Now Toyota said that they can build 90 hybrid vehicles instead of a single EV for the same amount of battery components. And they still use the older MiMH batteries and no Li-ion.

Why killing the golden goose !!!
Great insight information 👍🏻 Toyota has 5 of the top 12 selling 2023 vehicles: RAV4, Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, Corolla; Prius was named car of the year. 😳😃👍🏻

I think a lot of Toyota’s best engineering who built the company have retired. My son has a 2021 RAV4 Prime plug in and he got a recall letter in July saying there have been fires in the DC to DC converter and not to charge it in weather colder than 41F. Was supposed to have a fix by 4th qtr and dealer still has no word and he is in New England where it’s now getting in the 20’s. It’s not like a DC to DC converter is bleeding edge tech but I guess is harder than wheel lug nuts. Not holding my breath for SS batteries.

I believe it will be developed very soon.
I agree with @Watts_Up .

Toyota can do EVs now and might do SS battery in 2027, or 2028.

But the SS battery story is just like the fuel cell story. It's there to make an excuse to avoid making EVs in the short term.

It's still seeing profit in oil so there's no reason to abandon that profit for EVs.

It will jump to EVs eventually but only when it will incur losses in ICE.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Is there anyone that can drive 745 miles without stopping to pee?
I'm good for 200 miles occasionally, but mostly in the 150 miles range which is just fine for me.
ever since buying my first electric car and driving places, im noticing that driving somewhere isnt the problem.
the problem is once i get to my destination and theres no charging at my destination, so my last supercharging trip before the destination im there till i reach 90-100% because after that im driving into an unknown territory, so that extra time getting that high % is really time consuming, not to mention all the extra stops that werent because i needed to, but because i had to stop.
i prefer stopping when/where i want to stop, not because the car cant make it somewhere. theres plenty of charging deserts still in areas i would like to go such as state/national parks, but not only that if i decide to spend a weekend somewhere where the nearest supercharger is 50-75+ miles away, i just dont feel comfortable doing it. my current car has roughly 285 miles range in it but you also need to calculate for loss everyday from vampire drain/weird weather conditions, plus im never charging to 285, 240 is more realistic because of time.
if the car had 600 mile range, charging to 400 miles, 66% wouldnt take forever and id feel much more comfortable going just about anywhere
plus since its never recommended to go above 90% or go below 10% having the extra range would make it easier staying within those thresholds.

i think it should be illegal that tesla can advertise full range of their cars with battery degradation, weather conditions and the fact that you shouldnt charge/discharge to certain % states of the car, but its not my choice. i tell anyone buying a car subtract 30% from advertised range and thats the max range you should ever expect out of the car.
new tesla truck? 250? expect 175 max. towing? maybe less than 90 miles if youre lucky

Last edited:
Reactions: Msicario
ever since buying my first electric car and driving places, im noticing that driving somewhere isnt the problem.
the problem is once i get to my destination and theres no charging at my destination, so my last supercharging trip before the destination im there till i reach 90-100% because after that im driving into an unknown territory, so that extra time getting that high % is really time consuming, not to mention all the extra stops that werent because i needed to, but because i had to stop.
i prefer stopping when/where i want to stop, not because the car cant make it somewhere. theres plenty of charging deserts still in areas i would like to go such as state/national parks, but not only that if i decide to spend a weekend somewhere where the nearest supercharger is 50-75+ miles away, i just dont feel comfortable doing it. my current car has roughly 285 miles range in it but you also need to calculate for loss everyday from vampire drain/weird weather conditions, plus im never charging to 285, 240 is more realistic because of time.
if the car had 600 mile range, charging to 400 miles, 66% wouldnt take forever and id feel much more comfortable going just about anywhere
plus since its never recommended to go above 90% or go below 10% having the extra range would make it easier staying within those thresholds.

i think it should be illegal that tesla can advertise full range of their cars with battery degradation, weather conditions and the fact that you shouldnt charge/discharge to certain % states of the car, but its not my choice. i tell anyone buying a car subtract 30% from advertised range and thats the max range you should ever expect out of the car.
new tesla truck? 250? expect 175 max. towing? maybe less than 90 miles if youre lucky
Finally someone speaking real Tesla experience truths.. You are so right on, I agree 100% unfortunately most Tesla owners will justify what you’ve said.
I have 2022 MYP, Love it for the speed and short range trips; Another whole different thing when I attempt to go From Anaheim to Chandler AZ to visit my grandkids.. 😳🤦🏻

the problem is once i get to my destination and theres no charging at my destination,
THIS. Planning around charging at our destination drives (heh) choices in lodging and even destination itself. At least AirBnB has an "EV charger" filter...

Fortunately I was able to install a 14-50 at my parents' house so it isn't a problem when we visit, but elsewhere it's still a pain.

Reactions: DanCar
1,000 charging cycles, 95% capacity retention. Single cell being tested. Possibly 300,000 mile pack lifetime.

Nice. Any idea on cell or battery cost? Temperature operating range? Power capability?

Still in R&D, a lot of USA innovation taking place
Btw, I just read that LFPs were invented in America, nice job
For the military in fact… one of my friends is one of the leading scientists from the old days in that field.

Toyota has said that they are going to come out with a solid-state battery and it’s going to be sometime soon.

If they’re willing to hedge their bats with those batteries, I am certain they already know that they’re going to be totally fine and completely feasible.

What I want to see is a Tesla retrofit battery for my existing model Y….

For the military in fact… one of my friends is one of the leading scientists from the old days in that field.

Toyota has said that they are going to come out with a solid-state battery and it’s going to be sometime soon.

If they’re willing to hedge their bats with those batteries, I am certain they already know that they’re going to be totally fine and completely feasible.

What I want to see is a Tesla retrofit battery for my existing model Y….
I find battery tech fascinating
I took chem in college during undergrad and grad schools and did not see the application.
Wish I would have known how interesting chem in battery tech would be
that would have been my field.
Especially following LMFP, M3P, and 4680 advances and plans. On YouTube, John/Cleanerwatt and Jordan/The Limiting Factor gave me the start in my research reading.

Reactions: bruce4000

Toyota also said, in the same year, that lithium batteries was too exclusive for vehicles and would only be used for medical equipment.

They also said, still in the same year, that they did invent a ammonium engine that would kick as with the EV’s.

And some other bullshit, still in the same year.
Toyota is behind and is panicing due to that fact. Thats the reason for the multple contradicting news releases.

Toyota makes rather cheap cars ”for the people”. A 1000mile range EV or so wont be that, and not very many would be built per year.
They better look for a cheap massproduction car to sell.

• Love
Reactions: Dr. J
It’s a game of inches
And yet: "A few inches isn’t going to make a big difference in the overall scheme of things, so as a general rule let’s just make it easier on ourselves by spotting the ball with the nose end touching a yardline."

Toyota also said, in the same year, that lithium batteries was too exclusive for vehicles and would only be used for medical equipment.

They also said, still in the same year, that they did invent a ammonium engine that would kick as with the EV’s.

And some other bullshit, still in the same year.
Toyota is behind and is panicing due to that fact. Thats the reason for the multple contradicting news releases.

Toyota makes rather cheap cars ”for the people”. A 1000mile range EV or so wont be that, and not very many would be built per year.
They better look for a cheap massproduction car to sell.
Not to mention the Mirai debacle.

Reactions: AAKEE
My point is that Teslas battery journey all the way from the 2009 roadster using laptop batteries to the stepped improvements of the 4680s, it’s been a game of inches
Look at the latest news of 811, 955, 973, hybrid dry cell, etc
Along with the cathode factory and lithium refinery
Amazing for a non USA support company, Tesla

Reactions: Msicario