Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What am I missing? Serious question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Steak has to be medium, at least. Well done steak has no taste. Oh... is that the analogy? But what if the taste is stiff? :)

Agree with MsJulie regarding the old thing.

But I do like things on the softer side. Like, I'd take a couch instead of a wooden chair. I don't want to feel the road :)

I don't like the X and S due to the size. Too big.

I have the 19" wheels at 41 psi.

And you guys are all right. I've never driven a sports car and never wanted to. My best friend was complaining yesterday that I'm suddenly liking stepping on the pedal on my 3, and I was never like that. She doesn't want me doing it anymore while she's in the car. Oh well.

Maybe the Y will be my best ever car. Will see.

Saying all that, I love my 3, despite everything.

I bought a Buick at age 26 and drove it for 24 years. I caught a lot of flak for driving a grandpa car. When I took delivery (it was a special order) the guy who was handling delivery thought I was buying it for my parents who happened to be visiting that week and took me to the dealership.

The best handling car I ever drove before my Model S was a 1981 Impala with police car suspension, but the standard motor (5 L V-8). I got it up to it's maximum speed once, 87 MPH. I had a chance in 2016 to drive a mountain road in the S I used to drive in the Impala all the time and the S was staggeringly better. I'm sure a lightweight sports car could probably better the S, but it's the best mountain goat I've driven.

I had to get used to the extra power. A few weeks after getting my Model S I passed someone driving under the speed limit on the freeway when it went from one lane in each direction to 2 and thought I had gotten up to around 80, but when I looked down I was doing 101 mph.

My Buick really isolated me from the road in a cushy comfort that was rather nice. It had great seats and a smooth ride, but I scared myself the first time I took a cloverleaf as hot as I used to in the Impala. The body roll was awful.

What it comes down to is that everyone is different and and what I like and don't like in a car may be different from you (speaking as in you all, not anyone in particular here). Personally, I don't want to be isolated from the road, but I don't want every little bump to be jarring. In this regard the Model 3 is right for me.

Reactions: gavine
For me it's just going to take some getting used to. There have been a few times where I've fought it. Where I looked like an idiot because I had the blinkers on one direction, and then the other direction when I went to correct it.

FYI, you can cancel the blinker by moving the stalk in either direction. Eg, if your blinker is blinking left, you can cancel it by flicking the stalk up or down. It doesn’t have to be in the opposite direction. This may alleviate some of the idiot look.

• Informative
Reactions: 9erDog and ebmcs03
FYI, you can cancel the blinker by moving the stalk in either direction. Eg, if your blinker is blinking left, you can cancel it by flicking the stalk up or down. It doesn’t have to be in the opposite direction. This may alleviate some of the idiot look.

I knew I could cancel it by flipping it the other way. But, for some reason it simply blinked the other way. Maybe I held it for a bit too long.

99% of the time it works just fine, and it's only 1% that there is an "interface" problem with it. But, it's great to hear I can cancel it in the same direction. I didn't realize that.

It is a $35k car! You bought options to make it $75k

But, isn't that typically the case of lots of cars.

Where there is this theoretical low end vehicle that you can't seem to get, but it supposedly exists somewhere. Then when you actually configure the car it's $50K or beyond?

Plus if the Model 3 actually matched the fit/finish/etc of one of these theoretically possible vehicles then hardly anyone would complain.

This entire argument isn't anything different than arguments with the Model S, and how it didn't match the fit/finish/luxury of other cars with similar price ranges.

When I got the Model S I knew I could get a more refined ICE car, but made the decision not to. To me the better powertrain offered by Tesla was more than enough to offset any concerns. Plus luxury was never the primary reason I picked one car.

With the Model S I waited till most of the kinks, and initial issues were known and mostly worked out. With the Model 3 I jumped the gun a bit.

As it is today it's improved in some ways from the Model S. So I didn't feel like I stepped down as much as I side stepped.

Until the Audi/BMW/MB/Porsche/etc of the world catch up there won't be much competition for Tesla. Until that happens were stuck with silly things like not having a heated steering wheel option for the Model 3.

For people that want luxury/fit/finish there is the Jaguar I-pace, but it lacks a fast charging network. So it will be awhile before they have the same level of freedom.

It's not really fair to do ICE car comparisons because the pricing structure for an EV is so much different.

For an EV the battery is still the largest cost differentiator (in terms of cost to make). The heating/cooling/capacity/etc. So that is ultimately what you're paying for.

Plus with an EV like the Model 3 the primary difference between an AWD Model 3, and P-AWD Model 3 is a software flag. I don't know of any ICE that has a $10K software flag.

Reactions: gavine